Family Parameter order

I was wondering: is there a way we can change the order of the parameters shown in the familytype-dialogbox using dynamo?
The order can be random, asc, desc, custom (with clicking them upward/downward)

So Family Type > Identity Data

• Description
  • Model
  • Assembly Code
  • Keynote
  • etc.

But (yup, tiny ocd issue) I’d like them to be (example)

• Description
  • Assembly Code
  • Keynote
  • Model
  • etc

I don’t see any API that would do that. Also, even if there were buttons in the actual Family Type dialog box that allow you to sort them in that window, that doesn’t mean you can do that via the API. It’s far more likely that they were there to sort just in the UI for the duration of the window being open. These sorting states in order to be preserved would have to be stored in an ordered collection and that comes with a bigger overhead rather than something like an unordered collection. Just from a purely programmatic stand point of view OrderedDictionary<string, string>() is heavier and requires more memory than Dictionary<string, string>() Here’s a decent conversation about that: https://www.thecodingforums.com/threads/performance-ordered-dictionary-vs-normal-dictionary.729448/

Agreed,

However that custom ordered state is somehow memorized / saved along with the file. So clicking the up-button / down-button triggers an order-value I guess. Same for like vba/excel forms where your tab-order can be managed (values 1 to …)

oh well, I guess I’ll just keep on moving parameters up/down manually :sweat_smile:

Spitballing here, but perhaps by changing the grouping this could be attained? That is move them all to one group, then move them back into the desired groups in the order you want them.

Hard to code if even doable as you’ve got a few variables to work with.