Family instance won't rotate on one side of a column, but does on the other three

Hi,

So I am placing a family on a column, and when it is getting place, it is flipped upside down even though the surface is not flipped in any way. So I just want to rotate the families, and if I rotate them 180 degrees they rotate if they are on the north, east, or west faces of the columns, however if they are on the south side they still have the same rotation when placed of 0, but I have to set the rotation to 0 for these families in order for them to be rotated correctly. Basically I am just wondering why the family has the exact same rotation for this side, but requires a different transformation.

This is what a normal face looks like when placed, and then when rotated:

This is the south face:

Can’t explain why they are rotating on three sides and not all four. I would assume it’s the way the family was modeled and what template was used. But if they are coming in that way automatically, then Dynamo it seeing all of them as being oriented correctly so that’s why they all are returning 0 for the rotation.

If your family was modeled vertically where the top of the element is the top in the Z axis in the family, then you can get the transform of the family, then get the vectors of the transform and compare the BasisZ of the transform with the Z Axis of the project to get a true orientation of the element. Then work with them from that point. If your family was modeled more in the x,y direction, then it becomes a little more interesting getting the true orientation.

Maybe someone else has more insight about the original orientation issue and can help resolve without having to deal with the transform.