Extract part of Topo that is inside a bounding box

I have written a script a while ago that finds the intersections of a series of lines (foundation piles) with a few topographies and sends that information to excel and back into the revit model… it’s been working without any problem.

But now the topography has been updated and is much more complex (5x as many points!), and so the running time has gone from 25 mins with 500 piles to 25+ mins with 50, so my idea is to improve the running time by asking dynamo to find the intersections between the lines and a very reduced topography (poly mesh) using a bounding box around each line, but is this possible…?

Thanks in advance for any help :grinning:

Nick

@jacob.small is it possible to cut up a topography with bounding boxes…?

Not blinding boxes per say, but Isocurves and/or planes would work. From there I think you can expand the bounding box of the surface/solid to include a region above each subsection to limit testing between point set and associated topo.

Can you share a link to the current data set?

1 Like

It might be simpler if you split your topo into sub-regions from the UI. Sometimes you need to do that anyway because of the different piling zones in a project.

3 Likes