Excel sheet list into Revit

This has probably been done to death

But all my other parameters work but just this one fails any thoughts please.

Please don’t post multiple threads - especially without any context. You can link additional images or use a file sharing service instead.

What does the warning say? Are you trying to set a type parameter? We need more information.

this is the warning message

Warning: Element.SetParameterByName operation failed.
The parameter’s storage type is not a string.

I tried multiple images but being a new member it said only one image was allowed

I understand. That’s why I suggested posting them through links or a file sharing site. Posting multiple threads for the same question is not allowed and also very confusing.

The error explains the issue. You are supplying a string when your parameter type is something else.

So how do I find out what type it is. As far as I’m concerned it is simply a text parameter

Can you provide anymore help than that Nick because I’m no closer to a solution otherwise.

Seems like there are two Type parameters at index 6 and 10 (String and Element Id)
That is probably creating a conflict.
Would it be possible to rename the Type shared parameter?

Hi Vikram

Thanks for the response the `Type’ shared parameter is pretty ingrained within our system. I didn’t think it was possible to rename shared parameter. All our schedules are set up to use this also so that will prove very labour intesive. I did just find that it’s set up as an instance parameter rather than a type parameter does this change anything.

It’s not a good idea to create parameters with duplicate names. You run into issues like this. I think you would have to use python and determine which parameter is the correct parameter before setting the value.

Yes I can see the problem already Nick. Python is out of my scope unfortunately. Looks like I’ll have to tough it out with creating a new shared parameter and introducing it everywhere i find the old parameter

I created a new Parameter Vikram and substituted it in. It’s now working. Thanks for your help

1 Like