Elevation View Crop Region - Adjust Z values

I’m trying to set the Z values for my interior elevations and can’t quite figure out how to set them. I’ve pulled the elevations, can get the crop box curves, but I’m struggling to set the values. I would really like to hit only the Z values, setting them to 0 (finish floor) and 12 (ceiling) but I can probably deal with X & Y if needed.

Is it possible to set just the Z values in a view? If not, how can I harvest the X & Y values of the box without manually inputting them every time into the point inputs to create a new curve?

1 Like

I am very sure there is a better way than this, but here it is anyway.:smile:

and a GIF of it in action

and the Dynamo graph
setElevationCrops.dyn (29.3 KB)

11 Likes

Well that is no where near as simple as I thought it would be :rofl: Thanks for the help! :beers:

1 Like

Perhaps this method is simplier? Assuming volumetric room calculations are enabled, and your ceilings and floors are properly room bounding, try getting the room(s) geometry and intersecting it with each view plane thusly:

EDIT: Ok that GIF is horrible I’ll try to remember to post another one later tonight.

While I usually try to avoid geometry intersection stuff, but it’s easy enough to limit the sample size (ie: run by views on a sheet), and this has the added benefit of adjusting all of the lines to whatever the room’s bound shape is (watch the shape of the floor and ceiling line in the GIF). If you have situations where there are multiple rooms in the view separated by a room boundary line, you can union all of the solids after getting the geometry. Add in the override crop boundary method previously exposed elsewhere on the forum, and your interior elevations look good and are cropped to the shape of the room, likely in less time than it will take you to sync after you create and modify all of these elements.

5 Likes

Now that is really cool! And it has the interesting side effect of showing where ceilings aren’t modeled correctly (i.e. extend to core.)

2 Likes

Yeah - it’s great for flagging the “bad model” stuff - garbage in creates worse garbage out in this case. Interestingly, the “old fashioned” way of doing this manually would have been to draw the lines by picking and trimming, which likely would not have exposed the bad model setup you are seeing.

Hope you enjoy the new toy. :smile:

Hi Jacob,

I know this is an old post. I have followed your nodes but it does not seems like it is updating the crop region when I run it.

I am not sure what has gone wrong. I have to change the “Flatten(” to “DSCore.List.Flatten(”
Crop Elevation Views.dyn (21.2 KB)

Can you make a new thread and attach your current DYN and an RVT to test it with? Part of the issue might be the Dynamo version I built this in originally vs whatever more modern version you’re using (things have come a long way in 5 years).