Element binding - Can you add shared parameter to families that will change their shape during design and keep these information each time the design change?

believe that this is because the FamilyType.ByGeometry node does not initiate Element Binding - only the placement of the family instance bound into the file. You can confirm this by saving your .dyn and opening it in a text editor. Search that file for “Bindings” and you’ll see a list of the bindings added to the file. If after running and creating data you only have one line you can assume it’s the FamilyInstance.ByPoint node, but best to confirm by searching the GUID. My AU session has the information required to perform such verification.

Since your family type is changing with no binding, the parameters will too, which means you’ll loose the data in the relevant node.

You could attempt to add bindings to the action by making a custom node, but I’m not sure how well that will work. There is a FamilyInstance.ByGeometry node in the Springs package (I think - package may be wrong) which may have bindings built in as an easier first try.

1 Like