Dynamo vs Grasshopper

I would like to discuss about the capacity of
making complex geometry in Dynamo and in Grasshopper…I think that
maybe the interface of Grasshopper is more lightweight than Dynamo,
don´t you think so?..Sometimes Dynamo take so long time to create
complex geometry and I think that maybe Grasshopper do it faster no? In
the other hand I think that Dynamo works much better with lists, or at least I feel much more confortable with this program. What do u think about that? For example, now I am working with paneling surfaces…and it takes so long¡¡Maybe the last update of Dynamo? The results are nice

Javier

I put an image of the work that I am doing now :smiley:

Dynamo relies on the Autodesk Shape Manager for all of its geometrical calculations. The ASM is a massive library that is shared between 10+ different products and originated decades ago. Thus you have a lot of added complexity due to backwards compatibility and dependencies. It’s very hard to make changes to it without breaking something in one of the programs that depend on it.

Grasshopper will always be faster because it uses Rhino’s geometry engine. The Rhino team doesn’t have to worry so much about compatibility because they have only one product to maintain. That means they can be much more nimble and aggressive with making changes to their library.

That aside, Dynamo is still quite capable. If you need to perform a lot of geometrical operations, I suggest you do it in code to avoid tessellating the geometry. That will lead to both better performance and less memory usage. You can find more info about this here:

4 Likes

@Dimitar_Venkov Have you done any tests on this:

Geometry nodes in Dynamo are always tessellated*.

*Can someone confirm this? What about if preview is disabled?

(Quote from the link in the post above)

Does it help to turn of node preview?

So this phrase…

“As long as you don’t return a geometry object out of your Python or
ZeroTouch node, the geometry will not be tessellated. For instance, if
your graph has several point nodes, connected to several line nodes,
connected to several loft nodes, connected to several thicken nodes, the
geometry will be tessellated at each step. Instead, you can bundle this
logic into a Python or ZeroTouch node, and only return the final object
out of the node.”…
It means that work with Python or just with code an avoid all this steps of tessellating the geometry, not? but if at the final step i want to represent colors, for example the image that i uploaded, in some part of this code should I tessellate the geometry not?
Really interesting @Dimitar_Venkov and @Einar_Raknes when I turn off the node preview even in dynamo and revit I feel that it runs faster

Don’t think so. It might free up some video memory but it will have to keep most of the information in memory, otherwise re-showing the preview would have to regenerate everything and take too much time.