Dynamo for MEP Design_Lorenz Attractor Example

<p style=“text-align: left;”></p>
<p style=“text-align: left;”>HERMAN LORENZ_For DynamoBIM lorenz graph</p>

Hi fellow Dynamo’ers,

I am a very recent Dynamo adopter (Since last night to be exact). I have attached an example I was working on yesterday, with a few tweaks this morning. I am trying to create the Lorenz attractor graph in Dynamo, but I am stuck. I assume I should add a number sequence to my sigma, rho and beta parameters, but I am not too sure if that will work. The tricky part for me is to get all of the variables into my file for both chaotic, and stable conditions. Yes, this can be created more easily in another programme, but I’m bored at night. (My apologies if the image and dyn file shows all over, its my first post)

Secondly, have anyone thought about using Dynamo for MEP Designs and/or verification?

Thanks everyone

Herman

Hi Herman,

Some part of me is very proud that someone has finally posted on the forum about solving differential equations with Dynamo! Unfortunately, though, the solution to solving this problem won’t be as simple as creating a series for your t values. You’ll need a to use either a custom library or some python scripting to solve systems of ordinary differential equations. This sounds like a neat project, though!

More to your questions, though, ways to make series are documented in the help files under Help/Samples/Core/CoreRangeSyntax or in this blog post.

We haven’t exposed too much of the MEP parts of the Revit API yet in out-of-the-box nodes, but just as with other Revit elements, you can get and set parameters computationally. You can do a bit of Python to extend Dynamo’s reach into the Revit API too. See this wiki post. We’re working on better documentation for Python and using the Revit API, but this should point you in the right direction if you’re interested.

Colin

Thanks for the replies and link Colin, much appreciated. I was silently holding thumbs that the solution would be a bit more “ahem”, stable… It seems like I have a few long night ahead :slight_smile: Looking forward to it!

It sounds more like a case of missing functionality than anything being wrong. Curious – why would you like to draw the Lorenz Attractor? Is that geometry exploration, or do you have differential equations to solve in general for a modeling application?

Like this?

Capture

Haha! Show-off! What library did you use?

Hahaha, no need for libraries. I will post the code when my Dynamo unfreezes (I was testing some large family creation stuff), but in the meantime i will let you wonder for a little bit. :slight_smile:

Colin,

Now, here is a job for you. Nurbs Curve by Points just freaks out when I try to feed it a list of points from this node. Can you have a look at it? It’s almost like we need a node to interpolate a spline through points.

For now I am showing this with a PolyLine through points. Previous was just an import from Grasshopper using Mantis Shrimp since the original code was created for a VB component in Grasshopper. I am also not the author of the code, I just translated to Python so Dynamo users can enjoy it too.

Here it is:

Capture Capture1

Still a tease! Can you show a larger image of the python code or share the dyn file? I will definitely look at this.

I posted both of the images the same way. I am actually going to take this opportunity and complain one more time about this blog. It sux. Is anyone working on improving it? I would paste the code here, but all indentation will go away.

Capture1