Dynamo Command Line Interface

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about the Dynamo Command Line Interface. Maybe someone knows?

We are building an application that is run server side in Dynamo CLI. As we are also doing variant studies and generating geometry that needs to be displayed in a front end I’d like to make the Dynamo CLI part run as quickly as possible.

1. Can I spin up several instances of Dynamo CLI at the same time without them interfering each other in one command prompt? I think Generative Design does this too (or perhaps it does something similar?). How would I do this?

2. Can Dynamo CLI be used without needing to open/close between Dynamo graph runs? I’ve noticed it takes quite some time to start up and close.

3. Would having several instances result in a faster calculation of say 100 graphs I need to run that take about 15 seconds each? Or will it use the same resources on the machine and take as much time as running all 100 graphs consecutively? Assuming my calculations are not too resource heavy.

I have consulted a couple of similar topics on the forum and this wiki already but I couldn’t find the exact answers. I’ve also experimented a bit myself:

Hope someone can help :slight_smile:

Thanks!!
Michael

Hi everyone, I’m still looking for some help with this issue. Can anyone help? Thanks again!!

1. yes, you can do this. You would do it by starting multiple processes from some other cmd or programming language / library that can start processes. (for example .net’s base class library has the process class)
  2. yes, but to do this you’d need to implement an extension that starts up in Dynamo, use the cli keep alive mode (-k), and then have the extension manage the lifetime of dynamo and what graphs are run, not the CLI args.
  3. yes, it will be faster in general, but that depends on how many cores you have, what bottlenecks your code has etc.

@Michael684
Have you seen this?