Draw spline /polyline in Revit using x,y,z coordinates from an excel file

framing wont work here since it needs a level of refernce . I want the walkway to be modelled along the length of the tunnel and it doesn’t have a fixed level . its level is only fixed with respect to its cooresponding tunnel ring .

Also I am not getting what you are trying to say , maybe coz I have not worked with adaptive components much . But I will try one last time to explain, please comment if you have a solution which I can understand .

I was saying about spline because a single spline would be easily picked for creating that sweep profile of walkway which is indicated in the picture . Presently I have to pick all parts individually .
I cant explain much more simpler than this .

use MicroStation then

I understood your problem quite well.

Soo in simple terms, you have excel of coordinates (XYZ). You create points form those coordinates. From points you can get polycurve, that can be divided into Curves (Subcurves of Polycurve). For Adaptive component you need 2 points, which can be derived from Subcurves (start and end point). You can place your adaptive family on those two points.

for structural framing you just need to call 1 level, doesnt realy matter which 1, because it will use coordinats of your subcurves.

Hope this helps, otherwise like Andrew said! I have nothing to do with Autodesk, and I realy dont care what their marketing strategy is! It is my good will that im helping you here!

only if it was so easy to switch tools !! Enforcing revit was a contractual requirement from client !! I cant do anything in this but beat my head on the wall!!

Thank you for all the help , though half of my time went to make you understand the issue and even understanding your solutions !! that Autodesk marketing gimmick wasn’t intended for you to at all , I was talking in general !! Have a good day!

I just tried using the structural framing command and it doesn’t work . ( cannt form arc is the error ) . I l have to try to find some other way !. till then bye have a good day

I suspect much of your struggle is a result of your wanting Tool A to work like Tool B, which is never the case. If you try and drive a motorcycle as a car you will wipe out. Drive it like a motorcycle instead and you will have a much more pleasurable experience.

You have a spline, generated via Dynamo, and want a geometry along it which I assume wants to run between the two rails. Why not use the rail’s lines to host four point adaptive component families that would make up a panelists walkway between the rails? Not implying you would be panelizing the items but designing them this way might make things a bit easier in the near term then trying to do a single sweep since you’re getting stuck with that.

Pardon the bad sketch (all I have is my phone as I am on vacation), but the two blue lines are the rails, which I think you can use a select edge to find. Then the points along them could be found using a Curve.PointAt method (there are many options), and then it’s just basic list management to chop the list into ordered pairs to finally place the panels using an AdaptiveComponent.ByPoints method. If you have placed the tunnel segments using an adaptive family then that could even inform how you select your points if you did want to move into panelizing the construction.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

geometry is not supposed to be hosted between two rails but on one side of the tunnel !!!. howver the concept is more or less the same and this helped !! I used adaptive family by two points in dynamo to place the walkway between the two coordinates !!.

Anyways thanks a ton , didn’t mean to ruin your vacation!! enjoy your time and yes I do love the sketch ! the intent was very clear !!

1 Like

Didn’t ruin the vacation, so long as I don’t have to boot up the laptop it’s all good. Gives me something to do while waiting for trains and such.

I am glad it worked out. Feel free to post any more detailed descriptions or Mark a solution so that others can more readily find the path you wound up on in the future.