Door Handing Dynamo Help Please

Hi we are trying to schedule / add to a door schedule left and right door swings with in window families.

got as far as automating this but we now need to separate out our windows from the door list.
which we have managed to do as a list. ( the bottom half of the flow)

any ideas or help much appreciated !

how can i convert the end list at the bottom to elements to link back into the top flow ?

thanks

Hi erfajo

Yep sorry top package from danedu dynamo.
We are trying to schedule out door swings within window Family
We can get it to work sort of but if we want to filter out any types of window that dont have a door
we get stuck.

have attached the files
thanks for your helpTest Window Handing.rvt|attachment (2.1 MB)
TEST_Window Handing Sample3.dyn (12.5 KB)

WOW Thanks! will give it a go :smile:

What package did you use for the Element.flipped, Element.handflipped,… ? Thx

Hi

I’ve been trying to develop a Graph using these Nodes. I’m getting ‘Null’ returns from the Nodes in both Revit 2017 and 2018. Can I ask if there any know issues with the Nodes? I have Package 2018.115.0

I’d prefer to use your Nodes, I think, as the Archi_Lab alternative is returning all instances as Reversed even though 4 of them are unaltered, i.e. neither face- nor hand-flipped.

WIP_Set Door ‘Handing’ Instance Parameter v1.dyn (8.2 KB)

Hi again

I apologise for this as I do appreciate you posting WIP in your last response.

At the same time, I’ve built the graph as attached in v1 and I couldn’t understand why it should be sorting the doors as it is. It may be that there is something I don’t understand about Door Families and/or handing.

My assumption is:

Door is hinged on R in base condition. It will be R if unchanged OR if hand- AND face-flipped. If it is hand- OR face-flipped only, the door becomes L.

With some further testing (v2), it seems to me that both Nodes are assessing things wrongly (or, as I say, I misunderstand it).

FaceFlipped notes that a door inserted in the ‘wrong’ orientation is face-flipped.This door is inserted in the wall with the ‘exterior’ of the Door Family on the interior side of the Wall. While that is ‘flipped’ in a sense, it behaves more like a rotation would - it is still hinged to the R. Other than that, FaceFlipped correctly notes when Doors have NOT been face-flipped.

HandFlipped had errors in both returns - unchanged Doors reporting as hand-flipped and a hand-flipped Door and one mirrored about its own Centre Left/Right Reference Plane are reporting as not hand-flipped.

I hope this is helpful … if I am mistaken and incorrectly calling these things errors, I apologise and would certainly appreciate clarification.

The Door I used is the standard Concept Door that ships with Revit. I added Parameters to check but have not altered the geometry/orientation of the Door. I did switch on the Room Location Point which seemed to help in the ‘To Room’ part of the schedule. I’m not sure if that is related - I don’t think it changed your Nodes’ performance.

Files available for download here …

DoorTest.rvt (612 KB)

WIP_Set Door ‘Handing’ Instance Parameter v1.dyn (14.6 KB)

WIP_Set Door ‘Handing’ Instance Parameter v2.dyn (6.0 KB)

Hello again

Thank you very much. This does appear to answer my question at least … I’ve yet to confirm exactly what standard the contractor will use and was basing mine on the basic IFC enumeration - SINGLE_SWING_RIGHT and SINGLE_SWING_LEFT, found here. There is more detailed information on local variations,including the ‘reverse’ type here.

Thank you especially for pasting your code. This has clarified it. As one comment, may I suggest that the Node title may be slightly misleading in this one respect … your Faceflipped Node will report an Element as Faceflipped or not Faceflipped. But your Handflipped Node reports status influenced by the Faceflipped status. If I understand it correctly (I’m tired!), a Handflipped Element that is not also Faceflipped reports as ‘False’ but is in fact Handflipped. I guess this is perfect for doors in some regions - Denmark and the US (which explains the Archi-Lab confusion for me) - but otherwise a little misleading as far as the Node name is concerned.

Thanks very much for your answers and attention. It’ll be good API practice for me to figure out my own Node!