Distance between opposite edges of the conduits

Hi, everyone
I would appreciate if you share any thoughts why Cuboid width doesn’t equal to shown distance. (modified to: how can I get to 1’-1 7/8" distance?)

A bounding box takes the outermost points of the element based on project origin. So I would assume your conduit is not directly parallel or perpendicular to the project origin, therefore the width that is being returned is the distance between the two outermost points and not the distance you are dimensioning to. Images below should help clarify.

Elements picked from Revit model are skewed.

Solids and bounding box created by Dynamo

1 Like

Not sure how you are approaching the issue; or better said, what the purpose of this is. Maybe you are trying to place technical openings?

Get the element location of conduits which is a line in the center of the conduits, then ask for the minimum distance between all 3 lines, the longest result is what you need, so from that result sum /add half size of diameter of conduit 1 and half size of conduit 3 so you get your distance, make sure you use the correct units, i don’t use imperial, just millimeters. Hope it helps it’s easy, it can be complicated if you don’t know what conduits you are looking in the project and how many of them😉

1 Like