Debug with VS 2017

Hi guys,

I’ve searched through the forum, but didn’t find an exact answer to this:
It is possible to debug a dll in dynamo sandbox.exe with Visual Studio, for sure but can I auto start a particular dyno script with my generated nodes? In the api documentation I found this class: OpenFileCommand which should open a dyno script…
To make a long story short, I just wanna find a short cut which allows me to open the sandbox and then just start a script without any extra click work

Many thanks

This is just an idea, but might be worth a try. Dynamo has a Command Line Interface, which means you can launch it with some arguments passed to it. You can try this:

• In Visual Studio right click on the project, and go to its Properties. Then under Debug you can add arguments you are interested in:

• Here’s a link to what these might look like:
  • Once you do that, you can set the StartExternalProgram to point at C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Core\2.0\DynamoCLI.exe since that’s the CLI version of Dynamo. So I guess you won’t be able to launch it with all of the UI, but headless.

Give it a try. Like I said, this is something that I have not tested, so no promises.

Hey Konrad,

I have to admit this is a clever solution and I tried it and well, it worked pretty damn fine:
I just added the open command and verbose into the default dialog setting and went for a run/debug. VS hits all the breakpoints as it used to be (but you have to add a compiled dll of your project into the packages folder first of course).

So thank you

1 Like