Curtain Wall Profile Edges

Hello all,

I was wondering if there was a way to collect the bounding profile curves of a Curtain Wall.

Springs.Collector.ElementSketch works on wall that have had there profiles edited but not on regular walls or wall attached to floors / roofs.

Converting walls (Element.Geometry) to dynamo geometry and Geometry.Explode works for walls but Curtain Walls do not have geometry (their components do but not what I am after).

Any one know of a way to do this?

Thanks,
Steven

See what’s in this conversation maybe:

Hi Yan_Db,

I looked through that post, great share. I am looking for the entire profile of the curtain wall though not the base line. My end goal is to create and elevation with its crop reign the same as the curtain wall’s profile.

This one is eluding me. I thought I had it nailed with getting the geometry but quickly realized the lack of geometry problem.

Thanks,

I just found this post and its what I want but the method listed do not work on curtain walls. :frowning:

Chynamo has a node called CurtainWall.ToSolid, if it does not work for you, just double-click on it to see how it’s build, it could give you some useful clues.
I have also found that “The curtain wall itself does not have any accessible geometry objects, as you have seen, but you can still use its bounding box or location curve to determine its position in the model.” on this page, which is quite old already:

It is too late for me to search further today, I would just suggest to take a look at this:
http://dynamobim.org/forums/topic/extracting-curtain-panel-points/

Perfect thank you Yna_Db. That should do the trick. It works with every type of curtain wall. Unchanged, Profile Edited and when attached to a roof / floor.

Thank you very much for all of your help,

Steven

Great, I was modifying my post while you answered. Just send your updated graph if you need more help…

So I pulled that node apart and it is clever but falls a little short. CurtainWall.ToSolid,took each curtain panel and ran Element.Solid on it. This worked at first but then to make sure I added mulions to my test wall (seperating panel edges). This left holes in the final solid surface.

I found This post by KulKul for getting the curves of all the panels. Applying the base method from Chynamo I was able to get one solid surface.

Thanks for all of your help Yna_Db,
Steven

This is the post mentioned in the answer I gave indeed, great to see that it works and that you also cleverly managed to clean the edges :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for your Continued help Yna_Db

It will be easy to point to this thread for similar issues in the future, thanks for this contribution :slightly_smiling_face: