Creating a Custom Python Class

Hi, I’ve recently been learning Dynamo and when I get to working with Python Scripts I run into a lot of questions. I couldnt find similar questions in the community so here they go:

In a Python Script node, is it possible to define a custom Python Class, populate it and pass it around as an argument? I would be looking to do something like this:

import clr
clr.AddReference(‘ProtoGeometry’)
from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry import *
#The inputs to this node will be stored as a list in the IN variables.
dataEnteringNode = IN

class Circ:
parent=’‘
tipe=’‘
name=’’

var=Circ()

var.name=‘Nombre’

var.tipe=IN

OUT=var

If this cannot be done, can I create my own classes in a separate python file and then import it in my Python scripts? How can I go about doing this?

Thank you for your help

It seems that you can create custom classes in one python node, then pass them around the graph and read the properties of the instance in another python node. I was actually a bit surprised by that. I don’t think I’d recommend this method for making custom classes in Dynamo tho.

2015-12-14_22-47-36

It works, Thanks!

I will be using the class to order data from a messy excel sheet and pass it around the nodes as a Data Struct. Do you know of a better way of creating custom classes in Dynamo?

Again, thanks for your reply!

AL,

You can define those classes inside of Python and pass them around but I prefer to define classes outside of Dynamo in a module file because that gives me access to them from any custom node without having to define it again.

Thanks!