Created own Structural column family but Top offset doesnt work

I have created structural column family type with the node family type by geometry. But the Top offset doesnt work.
Also if I change the level it stays on the same place, the height does not change.

Please show us a picture of your script :slight_smile:

First of all thank you for replying so fast

My script:

I want to make the column like when you would make it in Revit where the column is attached to the bottom and top level so it can be placed on every level
Example:

1 Like

What if you use Element.SetParameterValue when the column is loaded into the project? :slight_smile:

It still stays on the same Z coordinate of the geometry by with it was created. Not the level Z coordinate.

I have found another method which works like this. I load the family file and then I copy the family type, after that I have another new family type which I can edit. But I have to use a package from a third party (Clockwork). Some people told me that it is better to use the OOTB because if Clockwork updates my script could not work anymore or I have to change things.

What I want to do is to make a structural column that works like a column you have made in Revit family.

Thank you for your time

Geometry created via this node is static - that is it doesn’t stretch weigh parameters. This is because the content is effectively an import in a family document. I suggest you modify the geometry in Dynamo to get the correct height before making the family.

Thank you for replying.
So let’s see if I get this right. I can’t make one Family type by geometry in Dynamo and use it on different levels and edit the height?

Now I want to know what other methods ther are to make a family in dynamo, I am curious.

Can’t adjust the height Dynamically by default, no. You can edit the resulting family to put the requested constraints in place, updating or rebuilding the content as needed (ie: add a void form to trim, constraining geometry, or just rebuilding with the import as a template.

Anything the Revit API can do, Dynamo can do. The capabilities (and therefore the inverse by exclusion, or the limits) can be found here:

Thank you,
Your comment has made things clear for me now. :+1:

I will look into the possibilities with Revit API.

Have nice day.

1 Like