Converting an English Revit model to Chinese

Does anyone know if it is possible to use Dynamo to convert a model that has been created in English to Chinese. What I am after is producing a model in the English template then converting all model elements to Chinese. This will include all parameters and familes etc but not any layouts or annotation just model elements.

I contacted Autodesk and they have advised me the best way for multiple models is to use Dynamo but I can’t find any scripts already written which will do this for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You probably wont find any already written. But that should not stop you from searching the forum and the internet to find similar workflows. Then coming back here and posting if you have any problems.

Do you already know the Chinese translation that you will be converting the parameters to? I think that part alone could be a big task.

Yeah I can’t imagine trying to translate… doesn’t the language pack do a lot of this automatically?

Doesn’t the language pack just change the Revit commands and platform to Chinese and not any parameters that have been input in to families etc in English? We are hoping to provide support to our Shanghai office in our Manila office but if we cannot hand over the models to them in full Chinese this could be a problem.

I know this can be done manually by copy and pasting information from the Revit families to Excel and changing the font to Chinese I think and then pasting back in to Revit but we need to come up with a workflow between the two offices so doing it manually is not an option.

Mabuhay…
If you have not seen this https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/china-bim-practical-advice-bilingual-revit-project-nicholas-burnett

Check it out it will start you in the right track.

My previous firm have this issue but they immediately identified this and solve it by generally saying all projects are done in english as the medium of communication and therefore all done in english.

Right so…as we become a multi-lingual society, let say do not think of revit for start. Any products we buy in china has or will have english instructions. Why? Coz in order for the product to be used coz if you cannot read the instructions then product is wasted.

Now in revit to support a project or an office both office should have a very good translator english to chinese and vice versa. Both office should speak both language, this will be a good practice.

Also i think before you start a project you need to decide if a project will be done in Chinese or English as this will save time later on translation.

Its really boils down to time i guess more than anything. Everything you will do has to incorporate or allocate time for translation.

Read on the above link you might find your solution.

Salamat…

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ll take a look in to it.

Autodesk advise to “use Dynamo” – that’s quite an answer :grin:

One can attempt to translate with Google Apps Script https://ctrlq.org/code/19962-translate-documents https://developers.google.com/apps-script/reference/language/language-app

… so maybe get your list of terms, put them in a Google spreadsheet, translate, read the foreign words back in.

For every word in the entire project though? That sounds like it would be a bad idea…

Just a thought here translate all families, parameter and its values into chinese by using py-translator. And set the names of families, parameters and its values.

3 Likes