Code Block Lacing or Replication Quesion

Hi all,

I was playing around with some indexing of a list with a nested list, pulling index 2 from each nested list. In my pursuit of doing this inside a code block I ran across this thread:
http://dynamobim.org/forums/topic/code-blocks-and-lacing/

in the second post Dimitar refers to ‘replication’ which I assume is a different name for lacing, maybe?
I read up on ‘replication’ and sort of understand but need more hands on to fully grasp the idea.

but my main question is, following the example in the link I have (lst<1>,2) and (lst<2>,2) the number in <#> gives the same results. Why?

ThanksLacing%20Question

From my experience :

The numbers into brackets refer to lacing, but also refer to one another.

a<1>, b<2> indicates cross-lacing between a and b, a being the principal component.
a<1>, b<1> indicates auto-lacing between a and b.
a<1L>, b<1L> indicates longest-lacing between a and b
a<1l>, b<1l> indicates shortest-lacing between a and b. (not 100% sure)

If you indicate only a single bracket, i the function would be set to auto-lacing automaticcaly because the bracket cannot refer to anything.

Note : a<1>,b<2> produces the same result as a<1>,b<3> or a<2>,b<3>

Also, in your example, there is no second list to proceed to cross-lacing.

2 Likes

The original example appears to be more of a list @ level function than a lacing function. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply guys, I found something that helped me out.

DesignScript Syntax
Scroll down to How About Lacing?
What I found and linked didn’t answer my question out right but with your replies, I’m guessing that I am more level filtering than lacing in my example above?

This is the site I originaly read about Replication
Replication

1 Like