Choosing the right method (overload) for flex duct creation

revit

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to create a piece of flex duct through the API with this method:

I’ve create the following code in which the input is a piece of duct with a single open connector and an air terminal with an open connector.

import clr

clr.AddReference("RevitServices")
import RevitServices
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager
doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument

clr.AddReference("RevitAPI")
import Autodesk

clr.AddReference("RevitNodes")
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)

terminal = UnwrapElement(IN[0])
duct = UnwrapElement(IN[0])
ducttype = UnwrapElement(IN[1])

TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)

csi1 = duct.MEPModel.ConnectorManager.UnusedConnectors.ForwardIterator()
while csi1.MoveNext():
	connector1 = csi1.Current

csi2 = terminal.MEPModel.ConnectorManager.UnusedConnectors.ForwardIterator()
while csi2.MoveNext():
	connector2 = csi2.Current

flexduct = doc.Create.NewFlexDuct(connector1, connector2, ducttype)

TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()

OUT = flexduct

Now the problem is that I get the following error message telling me to feed it a list of points instead of a connector.

Is there a way to make it use the method with the connectors instead of the method with the list of points?

You are feeding pipetype as a list and the overload is expecting a FlexPipeType…

Edit: FlexDuctType actually…

Anyway, it’s very important that you make sure that the data types are correct, that’s the only way iron python can decide which metohod (overload) to use.

Argh, yeah stupid of me…
I changed the type, but it’s still giving me the same warning. That would mean that probably one of the connectors isn’t a connector data type? I’ll go look into that. Thanks!

also note: All Elements of Type returns a list (event though it contains only one element)

I removed that and I also had my inputs assigned all wrong. Almost there I think :slight_smile: I’ll post the result.

Well I’m stumped… I’ve created a second python node that outputs the 3 variables for the method. They all seem to be of the correct type, but I still get the same error message… any ideas?

import clr

clr.AddReference("RevitServices")
import RevitServices
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager
doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument

clr.AddReference("RevitAPI")
import Autodesk

clr.AddReference("RevitNodes")
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)

terminal = UnwrapElement(IN[0])
duct = UnwrapElement(IN[1])
ducttype = UnwrapElement(IN[2])

TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)

csi1 = duct.ConnectorManager.UnusedConnectors.ForwardIterator()
while csi1.MoveNext():
	connector1 = csi1.Current

csi2 = terminal.MEPModel.ConnectorManager.UnusedConnectors.ForwardIterator()
while csi2.MoveNext():
	connector2 = csi2.Current

flexduct = doc.Create.NewFlexDuct(connector1, connector2, ducttype)

TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()

OUT = flexduct

Remove Parameters while Avoiding Built-In Parameters

I don’t know anything about modeling ducts in Revit, so I can’t test the script. With the correct data types it should be no problem for ironpython to choose the correct overload. One last thing I can think of is to try to force the correct overload with something like this: (I dont remember exactly the correct syntax, you can try to do an internet search and see if anything meaningful shows)

flexduct = doc.Create.NewFlexDuct.Overloads.Functions[1](connector1, connector2, ducttype)

or

flexduct = doc.Create.NewFlexDuct.Overloads[Connector, Connector, FlexDuctType](connector1, connector2, ducttype)

Finally got it to work, turns out you were right about feeding it wrong types: FlexDuctType input was wrong. I still had to specify the exact type of course.

your suggestion for using the overloads worked btw, I used this to get it to work:

flexduct = doc.Create.NewFlexDuct.Overloads[Autodesk.Revit.DB.Connector, Autodesk.Revit.DB.Connector, Autodesk.Revit.DB.Mechanical.FlexDuctType](connector1, connector2, ducttype)

and this one also worked:

flexduct = doc.Create.NewFlexDuct.Overloads.Functions[2](connector1, connector2, ducttype)

Thanks a lot!

Glad you got it to work, the Overloads methods can be a nice feature sometimes, at least to get the correct warnings when you are trouble shooting.