Change .rvt file parameters without opening the file

Hi there :slight_smile:
I was wandering if any of you knows a way to edit a Revit file (.rvt) while this remains closed.
I want to run a Dynamo script and change some parameters values, but I don’t need to open the file to visualise the changes.

Is something similar possible with some Revit API?
I know you can open it in background, but that’s not really my point.

Kudos to who will give me a hint on this. Cheers!

There is no way to modify any file without opening it. Doesn’t matter if it’s .txt, .rvt, .dwg, or literally anything else. To modify it, you have to open it. You can background open files, but they are still opened.

Once opened you can modify element’s and their parameters by the API, limiting yourself to the restrictions of the API. Note that Dynamo is generally a bad idea for background processing due to the way files are handled in memory (passed from node to node). Moving to a single Python node, processing via journals, or utilizing something like MultiPlayer from Bird Tools would likely be easier, faster, and more reliable.

2 Likes

Many thanks!

Hello @andrea.dilisa95,
As @jacob.small mentioned, you can not modify any file without necessarily opening it. Furthermore, you can pass parameters to different documents without using a GUI. While it might not be the most optimal solution, it’s certainly possible.

you can use the node from BriMohareb Pak.