Cable Tray Break Up

Alright, I have been working on this for a while now and am not sure what I am missing. I have read quite a few similar post but nothing seems to either work or stay with the topic. I am trying to create a script that will insert a cable tray union at a given point along the cable tray. Yes, I understand that Fabrication has this but when coordinating it is much easier moving and adjusting Revit MEP parts then run the Dynamo script to speed things up. It is also our standard practice to request the model from the designer and start working with that for coordination. Currently Fabrication cannot convert cable tray to Fabrication parts.

My goals are to:

• Divide the cable tray up into individual sections so we can create spool drawings and accurate section lengths / counts from Revit.

• Filter out different types of cable tray (basket vs ladder) so that we can adjust the lengths as needed per Mfg / type of tray.

Currently my Dynamo script can:

• Find all cable tray in model

• Create a curve and find points along the curve at a set interval (length)

• Place a union at found points along the curve. The union dose not snap into the cable tray. They also show up in places not needed like at the start/end of tray when another fitting is attached.

This is my 1st “big” Dynamo script so be gentle.

Cable Tray Breakup - Clean.dyn (168.7 KB)

1 Like