Automating COBie-UK 2012

See below as marked solved for continuous updates:

@Wayne_Patrick_Dalton
After filtering the true’s, use all elements of type and give them the boolean?

Thanks for the reply @Marcel_Rijsmus,

Here’s what I think you meant, I may have interpreted incorrectly:

you are feeding it booleans it says
feed it element types and after that set the booleans to the elements
sorry i was not clear

@Marcel_Rijsmus, no apology needed, completely my fault. I’m following the logic of what you’re suggesting, just having trouble implementing it, unfortunately.

Have tried this approach:

Some Context:

try this

keep me up to date please

I placed a few instances of the same type (detail 1)
as well as some other instances of another type (detail 2)
Both have the same family.

So basicly: I can either feed the elements to the set.parameter as currently is shown OR the total amount of family instances placed of the family itself (top right node).
The result remains the same: the instance value of the type instances are altered.

Shown below: only detail 1’s instance value is set to true (all of 'm).
Connecting top right node: detail 1 & detail 2 instance value is set to true (all of 'm)

Is this the same thing you try to do?

3 Likes

Thanks @Marcel_Rijsmus, @erfajo & @3Pinter,

:clap: to @3Pinter , as I need the graph to do two things:

if COBie.Type [:white_check_mark:] then COBie [:white_check_mark:]
if COBie.Type [:x:] then COBie [:x:]

I have a previous section of the graph setting the COBie.Type (per a single Category), separated by some Passthrough code:

here, and here:

Now when it gets here it nicely resolves itself with Instance matching with Type for each element:

When COBie.Type [:white_check_mark:] then COBie [:white_check_mark:]
When COBie.Type [:x:] then COBie [:x:]

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but beautiful as this is (I love a spirograph)…

There must be a better way :slight_smile:

I suspect that rationalising it, perhaps through an input list (perhaps from your original import (excel?)?) and some longest lacing… would make it run a bit quicker and easier to manange?

Hope that’s of interest,

Mark

Hello again @Mark.Ackerley - Yeah its a bit nasty alright, and knowledge on listing has failed me before - if you or anyone else in the forum has any suggestions on how to make it more efficient, I’d be very much open to it :slight_smile:

I’m listing out COBie Parameters, and placing them in specific rows on an excel that I would like to use to edit, manage etc. then push back into Revit.

Sample:

1 Like

awwww your spiro calmed me… :sunglasses:

Below what @Mark.Ackerley suggested.

for list actions look here (a bit old)

1 Like

@Mark.Ackerley

Maybe I should note that this is the export list - hence its structure in a specific order as it populates a very specific colour coded excel, I was planning to use UniqueId or ElementId to match and map back in from excel, but haven’t got to look at that just yet.

1 Like

I obviously know nothing about your graph, just wondered if you could use your excel that you’re getting them from to define the parameters… it’s cross lacing not longest…

Edit: Unfortunately this is much less pretty :frowning:
Edit 2: I feel that getting lots of COBie info on this forum will help people :slight_smile:

@Marcel_Rijsmus thanks for this. I need it.

Now I get you. Yes, this will help :sunglasses:

1 Like

thinking ahead this might help you later in the process
the uniqueId values can come from excel
to get it from elements (beit type or instance) use Element.UniqueId
to get to elements use Revit.ElementSelector.ByUniqueId(Id, true)

2 Likes

Good idea @Mark.Ackerley :raised_hands:t3:

I have changed the title this thread to “Automating COBie-UK 2012”. I’ll keep posting my amendments, and updates I make, in this thread for all to follow, and I’ll add a bunch of annotation to explain the rationale behind the decisions I’m making in the graph, feel free to chip in if you’re familiar with COBie.

I can share my experience of COBie so far (one of my best decisions was to do a course last year with two of the authors of the recent Delivering COBie Using Autodesk Revit) as I was managing delivery for a large scheme, with 5 buildings.

I was using Ideate BIM Link then, the repetition really bothered me.

Got a similarly sized scheme (by floor area) but split into 14 buildings, and would naturally like to automate as much as possible.

I’ll give Richie, one of the authors on the book a call as he’s from an MEP background, and see if he can help out, we can expand this to look at systems and spaces for MEP too, which I’ve not looked at practically (only in theory) as I am from an Architectural background.

1 Like

@3Pinter Less calming, but a lot cleaner. Thanks for this.

1 Like