Adding Parameters to Raster Image

As far as I can tell you cannot do this natively in Revit, so I thought I would post the question here to see if anyone could help me think outside the box.

We are importing a whole bunch of UL PDFs and I would like to include an index on the first of the UL sheets. My first thought was to add a parameter so I could schedule them, but you can’t do that.

I also had the thought of putting the pdf in a generic family and then inserting it. That way I could use parameters, but when you have a multi-page pdf that doesn’t really work because you would have to put them all in the family in the order needed on the sheet. This becomes an issue when you have multi-page pdfs spanning 2 sheets.

Thanks for the help

You should be able to avoid making one family per page but that is always an option. My first thought is to have one family per pdf but make each page a different type. Then you just place the family type for each page and can still split between sheets.

2 Likes

It doesn’t look like you can add visibility parameters to an imported PDFs ;(

You can them to AutoCAD imports, so I tried putting my pdf in a .dwg and importing that. It says that it cannot find any valid elements in model space to import. :frowning:

What category are you making your family? It looks like PDFs aren’t even visible in the project when loaded into families.

I was trying generic annotation and generic model but I hadn’t even gotten that far yet to find out they weren’t visible.

I remembered I have Revit Snoop installed. Would it be possible to use a node to bring out the name and OwnerViewId (or TypeId) properties (see screenshot), throw that into a excel file, then bring it back in? That would give me the name and location.

What do the PDFs look like? Perhaps there is another work around to get around the PDF work-around?

Really not sure about this workflow. but try this: import each pdf for each level in revit. (probably a dynamo script will help).
create your required parameter as shared parameter under “View category”? For each floor plan view at different level, you can create an instance shared parameter for a view ain’t ya?

And for the multi page pdf, try to crop region each page in a view and create a duplicate view for other pages each? making a duplicated view independent probably frees off the dependency of the shared parameter of that view as well i hope.

May be if the view range is not a challenge for this :stuck_out_tongue: else its all a mess up :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is what it looks like in Revit.

I was afraid of that…

Perhaps a drafting view per PDF? Grasping at straws here as the focus on language with these documents makes creating native Revit data difficult… Wonder if UL has any alternatives?

I think at this point I’ll just leave it be. Providing a schedule was a way to make navigating the ULs more convenient, it’s not a requirement.

Hm… For that perhaps you can make a hyperlink to the page in the PDF, and just embed it as a property on another object and have their web browser do the work?

1 Like

I think I am following, you are saying to just create hyperlinks in the PDF, so I don’t do anything in Revit.

We are currently doing that for all the sheets, elevations, sections, etc. Bluebeam has a function where you can batch produce hyperlinks, so we could add those to the list.

Yep. Once you have the hyperlinks created you can attach it to the element using the URL parameter. So the wall based on UL450 could link you to that page in the PDF automatically.

Sometimes it’s not about bringing the content into the BIM, but referencing it effectively.

1 Like