What are the best practices for managing packages for multiple offices

This! We have been maintaining a folder of Dynamo graphs per Revit year version because newer packages would break the nodes in the older version of Revit. Sometimes the node would be renamed, sometimes it had the same name but all the inputs changed to PORT1, PORT2… and they would not work as they had before.

To remedy this, I have basically frozen all the packages for a Revit year to the package version that was current at the time of the graph publication. The next year when Revit comes out again, I install the current packages that are available, copy over existing graphs, then test and replace all the broken bits to have them work in the current Revit version.

We have completely gotten rid of 1.3.4, so all of these are 2+. Am I getting the message that when the new Revit year comes out, I can update all my packages, fix the broken nodes, and now these graphs will work in the previous year of Revit too? As long as those package updates get sent to the correct folder.
[Edit]: BimorphNodes V4.0 Released - Rebuilt for Revit 2022 - #3 by MartinSpence A post like this I have not seen before. If they existed I missed them. This is very clear about being compatible with previous versions, what issues might come up, why and how to fix them.

4 Likes