Switching tabs slow

This really isn’t FAQ related, but I can’t find a “Dynamo UI” category.
I’m debugging a Custom Node, so I have my main .dyn file open.
Then I double-click in the Custom Node to open the .dyf.
After I run the main, I’m finding that it can take several minutes to switch back & forth between the two tabs.
I’m guessing this has something to do with reloading the dataset, but it seems unusually long to me, and it really puts a kink in trying to debug things.
Any ideas?

Did you try to close and relaunch Dynamo?

How’s that going to help me retain my dataset?
I need to run the graph. then jump into the .dyf & see what’s happening inside.
And if I have to close the whole thing and run it again every time I want to add a Watch node, or change a value, that’s going to be even slower.

Depending on how long you have been working before, closing and reopening can improve general performance. But of course I don’t know if it will be enough in your case…

It just kinda feels like a memory leak to me. Why would it get worse with each Tab switch?

See if this discussion can help:

Thanks. That does explain a few things.
Doesn’t help, but it does explain :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
The graph I’m working on is a fix for the 2016-2017 text growth.
It examines all of the Text in an entire project, so, yes, the dataset does get pretty big.
And it’s passed through a lot of nodes, so it probably gets exponentially bigger.

I tried something like this a while ago. Could you look at just the text types instead of all text instances? You might not need to examine quite so much.

What I’m doing is exporting the size of the Text Box in 2016
Then I do it again in 2017 (or 18) and compare the size divided by the Text Height
That gives me the number of lines in the box
If the number of lines is larger, then I know that some of the Text wrapped to additional line.
Then I make the box a little bit (6% in my case) wider for just that instance.
If it’s the same # of lines, I leave it alone.

I’ve considering posting it here, but I’ve got a lot of stuff that’s unique to our setup hard-wired.

How are you collecting text? Try disabling background preview or hiding the collector nodes’ geometry, as it does render the words in versions prior to the dailies, (2.0).

Geouping dunctions in code blocks will also help. Also I find debugging functions in a code block faster than custom nodes, when you are done you can roll it into a custom node very easily this way as well.