String to Number

I tried the sample "Import_Export CSV " and it has a problem with String to Number node. I tried to figure it out, and it seems as if this node have had a problem with decimal values. When I changed some of the coordinates in csv file into integer number it worked.

Is there a solution to this issue ?

a workaround:

string

the python code:

import clr
clr.AddReference(‘ProtoGeometry’)
from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry import *
#The inputs to this node will be stored as a list in the IN variable.
dataEnteringNode = IN[0]

#Assign your output to the OUT variable
OUT = float(IN[0])

I tried your code and it didn’t work for me. Can you look at the picture and tell me what is wrong ?

Python

strange!

what build are you using?

what error message do you get in the python node?

Warning: IronPythonEvaluator.EvaluateIronPythonScript operation failed.
unexpected token ‘’

I am using Dynamo 0.7.1, the latest build from tomorrow

fsd

Hello Szymon Jan,

Can you please share your dyn file. I don’t see any problem with String to Number in 0.7.1.

Try running Sample from Help>Samples>ImportExport>ImportExportCSV to Stuff

Do let me know if yours data is different then what we have used in Helix.csv

Thanks,

Ritesh

helix_smaller
ImportExport_CSV to Stuff

I used this sample data without changing anything in this files and this is what I get :

Error

no changes and running!

maybe you reinstall your dynamo files.

i am using revit 15 dynamo daily from 09.07.2014

szymon

I reinstalled dynamo and still it doesn’t work. Let’s face it, Dynamo hates me :stuck_out_tongue: I know it is hard for you to help me without having the same error, so I think maybe I will reinstall my Revit (??)

Belowe Example of problem with decimal values

Error2

Strange thing happend. It seems as if my system was using the comma instead of dot (??) When I wrote 10,5 it worked. Is there a place where I could fix it ??

error3

looooool!

cool, maybe you create an issue so developers may track it.

funny is, that my system accepted your dyn file.

i am working on a localized german version

@ least its some sort of working now.

congrats

I’m from Poland. It is definitely Regional Settings
You can change it in two ways:

"1) Regional settings
Control Panel –> Clock, Language and Region –> Change the date, time, or number format
Click on Additional settings button.

2) Within Excel
Office Button (left hand corner) > Excel Options > Advanced > Editing Options > Uncheck ‘Use system separators’ > Define as per your needs"

Szymon Jan: I am glad that you figured out the problem.

So after changing setting to English locale, are you able to run String To Number successfully?

Thanks,

Ritesh

Yes it is working

I have a similar question to Szymon using Peter’s work-around.

How can I convert a sublist of string(s) to numbers? As you can see it’s working on a basic string input, but what about a list?

The “to number” node in 0.9.0 should work quite well, also try experimenting with the List.Map node.

Thanks Timon - Too obvious! I was searching for “String to Number”. I also played with the List.Map node and ran into the same issue. I agree, I need to learn much more about the power of List.Map!!