Sorting columns based on x and y points seem to end up in random order

Hello all,

I am trying to make a workflow that automatically changes the mark value of all structural columns in my view based on their location( Top left to bottom right.)
I think i am missing something since the renaming is done incorrectly now.

@Kulkul I am adding you here since i based the script of a solution you gave to another user. ( Rename elements (beams,columns etc.) by X and Y direction ) but this was a 3 year old post so i didnt know if i should bump that again…

There is probably something im not seeing that makes dynamo sort the columns the wrong way.

Anyway, here is my workflow: (edited because i saw an error in my workflow.) Now the sort node gives the following error:

Warning: List.SortByKey operation failed.
Number of items does not match the number of keys.

And this is how my columns end up being renamed:(DISRECARD THIS OUTCOME SINCE THE WORKFLOW DOESNT WORK AFTER MY LAST EDIT.
(in red how i would like the columns to be renamed)

The point.x list is flat whereas the list with elements is grouped.

Try to match the point.x list by using list levels there.

1 Like

I am not sure what node you are talking about…
Could you elaborate?

I added a list flatten to the second point node and i got the script almost working i guess…

The problem now is that the columns get named from bottom to top instead from top to bottom…

There seems to be more going on than just inverse numbering. I added a few columns and made the name a number instead of a letter

sortGroup.dyn (23.0 KB)
sortGroup

This should work for you.
Though in a project with multiple levels you’ll need to group by levels too.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

There seems to be a problem with my sory by key node, it gives me the following error message:
Warning: List.SortByKey operation failed.
One or more input types are not matching. Lists as keys are not supported.

I believe i recreated your workflow, but i did notice the difference in your sort node and mine, is this a version difference?

Nevermind, i didnt know you can select Use levels on those nodes…
Thanks for the help, i got the workflow working! :slight_smile:

1 Like