Run CPython in a zero touch node

Hi

I am looking into upgrading my package to zero touch nodes, and I found an example of executing an IronPython script from string in C# using the IronPython.Hosting namespace.
https://developer.dynamobim.org/03-Development-Options/3-3-python-scripts-in-csharp.html

Now that we are using CPython I tried finding an example for the same solution, but I could not find a good example that references CPython use. I would like to run a pythonscript from string, and return some object or value from the python execution.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

2 Likes

you can see how Dynamo does it here:

curious why you want to do this?

4 Likes

Excellent, thank you so much for that great example :slight_smile:
The main reason is curiosity, but I would also like to play with the idea of building a python interpreter into my C# addin for Revit to make users able to expand on my functionality.

I.E. I have a filtering system in place for some of my addin tasks, and I would love it if users could append small python scripts on top of my C# basic filter GUI for more advanced cases.

Could this be used outside of the Dynamo environment as well, or does it require Dynamo to be running?

1 Like

@andre.abotnes @Michael_Kirschner2
can You give me simple example how we can call Cpython from c#
I try this code but the out is non

using System;
using Python.Runtime;

namespace PythonDotNetExample
{
    public class pythontest
    {
        public static string rrr()
        {
            // Initialize Python engine
            PythonEngine.Initialize();

string result;

using (Py.GIL())  // Acquire the Python Global Interpreter Lock (GIL)
            {
                // Run the Python code
                dynamic output = PythonEngine.RunString(@"# Load the Python Standard and DesignScript Libraries
import sys
import clr
clr.AddReference('ProtoGeometry')
from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry import *

# The inputs to this node will be stored as a list in the IN variables.
C=2 + 3

OUT=C
");

// Convert the Python output to a string
                result = output?.ToString();
            }

// Finalize Python engine
            PythonEngine.Shutdown();

return result;
        }
    }
}

I think the pythonNet readme will explain using pythonNet better than I ever could :wink:

3 Likes