Reading from excel as strings vlook up

here is an illustrative version of what I am trying to do.

I was only showing examples. You still have to apply your process to the situation. You can check both columns independently then see which rows meet both requirements.

1 Like

This one makes sense to me! Let me dig into it using this idea. Thanks!

what package is the If Equal Return Index node in?

@mix If you have the Rhythm package (which I highly recommend), you can use the node “Rhythm.WhatTheNode” to find out what package it belongs to!

3 Likes

It’s actually just its own package.

1 Like

hey, so I am trying this same script, on other equipment where I populate the Destination ID from the name of the source equipment (its derivative). which is fine, and I have that working, however, dynamo is not finding that name in excel. I have a feeling there might be spaces at the end of the text in the excel cell which would make the string “different” than mine. Is that the problem. Because Dynamo is not finding what I told it to, and I know its in there, look at my search window from excel, it is only finding 2 out of the three, but not the right one.

Try setting the lacing to longest on the string contains node. Your list structure doesn’t seem to match.

It would probably be helpful if you could post your dyn file and the excel file along with it.

still doesnt work.:confused: I cant leave them up for long.

You’re seeing 3 cells that have that value - H511, H512, and E512 - but you’re only filtering through the H column in Dynamo so you’re getting 2 items. It’s working correctly.

Its not working correctly because when I search the two columns in dynamo, it is not finding the 5RF-D01 (or similar) in the H column at all. Meaning it is not finding the feeder number for those elements. because it cant find both elements in its respective column

Look at the Count True value from the Destination column that I circled in my previous picture. The Destination Column is Column H. and as you pointed out it should have two instances found in that column so the value for the CountTrue node should be 2. But its not. It is 0. Thats what I mean by its not finding anything, and thats where my script is crapping out on me. Sorry if I confused you before!

I’m having difficulty discerning what’s going on in your images. Could you upload the excel file and the .dyn?

ATN-5 6 Feeder Schedule Rev. 19.xlsx (982.7 KB)
Find and populate Feeder Number from excel and populate To, From, Source, and Destination Parameters by selecting destination and source parameters (NEW NAMING CONVENTION).dyn (58.7 KB)
@awilliams please see attached.

It was finding 2 instances on my end. Everything seemed to be working. I would try closing and re-running Dynamo if you haven’t.

@Nick_Boyts Can you please show a screen shot of my script where it was working for you? Thanks

Oops. Sorry, looks like it was working because it was finding matching null values. I can’t run that portion of the graph because I don’t have your Revit model. Can you post it as well?

VFD_1.rfa (304 KB)
The model is irrelevant. Here is the family. Use this family as what your setting as source, freeze the node for select destination, and set these parameters like this. Then draw and tab select a run of conduit and have it in your current selection. Then press Run.

The model may not be irrelevant. That’s partially the point.

Most people don’t have time to recreate all your work in hopes of solving your problem. If you don’t want to share your model I’d suggest you setup a test project and send that instead.

Nick I appreciate what your are doing, I really do, but I am afraid to upload my project. I will create a pseudo project for you.