How to GetSideFaces of a floor of foundationslab (Python) for dimension floors

I want to get the side faces of a floor and a slab
the following code i use to get the exterior faces off a wall. But that won’t work with a floor
is it possible to get the Side faces off a floor? And how?

import clr
clr.AddReference("RevitAPI")
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *

clr.AddReference("RevitNodes")
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)

clr.AddReference("RevitServices")
import RevitServices
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager

doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument

line = UnwrapElement(IN[0]).GeometryCurve
elements = UnwrapElement(IN[1])

elementsRef = ReferenceArray()
opt = Options()
opt.ComputeReferences = True
opt.IncludeNonVisibleObjects = True
opt.View = doc.ActiveView

for element in elements:
	a = HostObjectUtils.GetSideFaces(element, ShellLayerType.Exterior)
	for i in a:
		elementsRef.Append(i)
TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)

dim = doc.Create.NewDimension(doc.ActiveView, line, elementsRef).ToDSType(True)

TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()

OUT = (dim, a, elementsRef)
1 Like

No idea if it would work, but you could try and collect the floor’s sketch lines instead.

i would do it like that:

just creat a python script with this workflow

1 Like

i have someting similar with nodes. but i am stil not able to get it done with python. :disappointed_relieved:

What’s the specific reason you want to do it in Python? As you do have a way to get it done in Dynamo, maybe there’s a way to alterate that in a way that serves you goal rather than trying to do it in Python. :thinking:

1 Like

It is because I started this with the use of Python.
In mine script for dimension walls i had to use python to get the exterior side of the wall.
And i used that script to bild a script to dimension floor

but indeed when there is a way to get to my goal it is stupid to waste mine time trying to do it in Python.
Sometimes it is better to start a script from new instead of use another one :smile:

thank for keeping me by the lesson

ps i am learning Python maybe thats why i want it to use to often lately :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, trying to learn Python is a perfectly valid reason to do it in Python. I’ve made rather nonsensical things in Dynamo to learn Dynamo (like this: I created a Node to Check and find Prime Numbers) but if that isn’t much of a goal it’d be a bit silly.

I’ve seen a lot of people (including myself) asking for a method to do something in Python even though Dynamo is perfectly capable of doing so. It’s arguably silly to confront a “regular” of the forum with it but I got that status as well recently and I really feel like I’m a complete novice on most things Dynamo. So I’m asking just to be sure.

I have seen and liked youre prime numbers.Dyf and the sine wave by curve. a few week ago nice work

1 Like

:blush:
Thanks a lot!

I found out that trying to help people on this forum is a very good way to learn.

I do hope you’ll actually manage to get the issue of this topic solved.

1 Like

One of the key aspects of learning dynamo is understanding the various ways to accomplish any task. At one point I had 20 or so scripts which were ‘play time’ scripts where I did a task in method 1 (nodes), then method 2 (design script), then method 3 (in line design script), then method 4 (custom node), then method 5 (python).

Each of these methods have strengths and weaknesses related to speed, expert availability, complexity of changes, management, flexibility, and maintenance. If you only know one well you’re in for an issue someday. So knowing all is good.

However, it’s also important to know when to walk away - if you need it done and it works, then hit run and move on. There will be another time to learn later this week, perhaps with something similar, and you can come back to this as needed.

2 Likes

Yep

With the OOTB node Dimension.ByElements i can not dimension at the sides of floor/walls/etc
So i think i stil need Python to dimension a side of a floor or foundation slab etc
at this moment i have a Python script that works for sides of floors, walls, str foundations, etc
see image