How to get the outline of the floor

hello

is there a way to find the outline of the floor?
below image shows my attempt to deconstruct the floor and getting the curves but wasn’t successful.

any advice would be very helpful. thank you in advance.

floorOutline.dyn (21.7 KB)

thank you very much Vikram,

I tried your method on my script but Categories with Lines is bringing all the other lines from the other 3d models such as walls and other floor slabs from other floors.

Is there a way to do it with categories set as floor and select by category and level node to choose a specific floor?

thank you very much for your time

The definition below collects all floors, but you can change the initial nodes to make a selection

floorOutline1.dyn (24.1 KB)

Might wa t to try collecting the sketch lines directly, grouping the curves, and getting the curve network with the largest area. Would be an interesting speed comparison anyway.

springs has an element sketch node that seemed to work well for me

I am trying to create something similar. In my case I want to get the area of the outer faces of the floor slabs, excluding any inner openings. How would I adapt this to get the outer side face area of the floors? I was thinking of getting the perimeter from using your method and multiply by the thickness of the floor slabs. Problem is, each floor could have different thickness and not sure how to amend this so it looks each floor, calculates the perimeter and multiplies with the floor thickness, and it iterates for all the floors in one run without having to select each floor. Or is there another method of getting the area of the side faces without having to calculate perimeter and thickness?

hey! you’re probably looking for something like that:

Home.dyn (17.5 KB)

Doing it for multiple floors is just a matter of setting up the proper lacing. However, at least in the new Dynamo it seems like even this is not neccessary :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Danail, this is what I was after, would you be willing to share the dynamo file for it please, the one attached doesn’t contain the full steps

shit, I didn’t save it apparantely :frowning: here are the nodes used:
SelectModelElementsByCategory > ElementFaces > Surface.PointAtParameter > Point.Z > == > FilterByBoolMask > GetItemAtIndex > Surface.OutherPerimeter > PolyCurve.Curves > Math.Sum > Flatten > GetParameterValueByName > CodeBlock (a+b)

I believe based on that and the pic provided you will be able to recreate it :slight_smile: sorry about that…

Thank you, I’ve included the nodes that you have said, but it’s seems there are additional points on the slab? not sure where those are coming out off, do you what is causing this/have a workaround?

Could you share your grapgh, along with a sample file, containing the slab?

Hi @Arinabegum here is another way there probably could work as well. if i understand :wink:

1 Like