Extracting ceiling height by point coordinates

This could mean 2 things :
-There is no ceiling above the point you used for the test
-the point is above the ceiling and therefore won’t find anything to project onto following the zaxis.
I would suggest to try with more points and see what it looks like

I did as you said, and it still does’t work…
anyway tnx…

I might be missing something here…

But would a simpler alternate method be to use a face based family ?
As I recall, face based families can be hosted by a face in a linked model.

Hi Andrew,

I have a family with multiple nested families. Only one of the nested families has to be on top or under the ceiling, Thereby its necessary to offset it from the reference level (because the client wants that dimension in the schedule). Also, if I would want to use a face based family, I always need to select a face in 3D (in my situation)…That is exactly what I’m avoiding. My model is very big with 150 linked files. As you can imagine every mouseclick means 30 seconds to one minute waiting.
Besides that, we are not allowed to hosed a family in a linked model…(BIM protocol)

@Andrew_Hannell I did some tests to automatically place face hosted families (or surface based, I’m not sure of their name in english since I’m still working with Revit 2016 in Italian) but the Dynamo node Springs.FamilyInstance.ByFace does not work with linked models and I am lightyears away from understaing Python.
Anyways I tried to start a topic on this subject here but went unnoticed:

I tried playing around with RayBounce but I am afraid I overcomplicated the problem:
What I did was open the Architectural file containing the ceilings (I know you have many…), I loaded my Electrical File, I ran RayBounce inverting the points and the category, I then sorted everythign out to obtain an excel file with the Light Fixtures ID’s and the level and offset they should be at.
I did not continue testing this method because as you can see it is time consuming, but ideally you could do another simple script that reads the excel (this time in the file in which you wish to move or place objects) and assigns the correct level and offset to each component.

I know this is not an answer and that you wish to directly place elements while I want to move them, but you could easily change the green group with the import coordinates from your dwg extracted coordinates.

I’ll try to play around with the the Solid.ProjectInputOnto node and the python scripts, both of which however did not work on the first try.

Thank you very much Greg. Right now I’ve opened a ceiling_plan_view, there I can see the height (annotation tool), the thickness of the ceiling and then adjusting the offset of the nested family. I know this is not the best way, but it is 10 times faster than loading the section view and moving it around. Later I will give you last method a try…Anyway thank you for the effort!

Cheers!

I just opened the script with the Solid.ProjectInputOnto node I was working on before and it could work, but I am afraid I forgot to continue to work on it… Tonight or tomorrow I’ll try to make it work and post here.

I know it’s a rather old topic, but for the future, I think this might be helpful :

2 Likes