Deviation Analysis for Viewing on Autodesk Construction Cloud

Hello everyone,

I trust you are doing well. I’m requesting your invaluable guidance on a challenge we’re currently encountering.

We aim to perform deviation analyses between BIM models and point clouds generated from our construction sites. The intent behind this exercise is to validate that the construction project does not surpass specific tolerance thresholds with respect to the BIM model. Any deviation beyond the tolerances would compel us to implement adjustments on-site.

We have attempted to leverage third-party Revit plugins such as FARO’s As-Built for Revit and Autodesk’s Point Layout. However, we have found that the analysis results are unfortunately erased upon closing the Revit model. This requires us to rerun the analysis each time we reopen the model - a process which is proving to be quite unfeasible, as we need to share the analysis with on-site contractors via the Autodesk Construction Cloud.

Saving the analysis results as images would be an immediate workaround, but it falls short of our requirements. The contractors require the ability to take live measurements from the 3D model on the Construction Cloud, eliminating the need to create multiple elevation drawings for each facet of the building project.

At this point, we are considering a workaround that involves using the Sastrugi package to derive points from the point cloud, and then identifying the required building faces for the analysis. We plan to break these faces into smaller polygons. The points would then be clustered around the center of each polygon, and the distance between the polygon’s center point and the furthest clustered point would be used to establish a color range for the polygon surfaces. We would then override the colors of adaptive components within the Revit project based on these colors. We anticipate that this would enable the deviation analysis colors to be viewable on the Construction Cloud.

However, we recognize that this proposed solution could prove computationally intensive, which might pose a challenge for Dynamo.

One alternative we’ve considered is acquiring a Trimble X7 scanner that allows for on-site deviation analysis. However, the associated cost is currently beyond our budget.

Consequently, we’re reaching out to this knowledgeable community for any potential alternative suggestions. Could the VASA package assist in this situation, or are there other strategies we should explore?

See a sample image of the deviation analysis below.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and insights.
@jacob.small @solamour @Ewan_Opie @Alban_de_Chasteigner @GavinCrump @rhys.goldstein

Not sure I would go VASA, or Sastrugi or any package I have seen yet… I think instead you would want to look into this class of the API, and see what you can do to build one from a selected reference, and then see what you can do to interpret the result as a new geometry (ie: extract the points at a UV density and build a NurbsSurface.ByPoints, and push that to a new mass). I haven’t tested it yet and this may be a dead end, but I stumbled across it the other day and was wondering what I could do with it and something like this was one of my ideas…

The key for any such development is going to be building f a small enough data set that you can iterate your code with and manually verify the results.

1 Like

May be worth giving Rhino3d/Volvox a try as well - I’ve been impressed by its processing speed for small to medium point clouds. Haven’t given Sastrugi a comparison yet so might do this next I get a chance…

1 Like

Hello Jacob

Thank you for the suggestion. It makes a lot of sense.
By “this class”, do you mean the class that is used to produce the analysis results?

Sorry meant to post this link:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, Gavin.
I will give Volvox a go first. The buildings we have to analyze are max 80m² in floor area, so this should suffice as long as I can export the results back into Revit with Rhino inside. I recall Sastrugi only allowed a selection of 1 million points max last time I tried it, so it might not be a suitable option. I might be wrong.
Thanks.

Thank you!

This may be the case. However I wouldn’t recommend doing the entire point cloud as one family; break them down by surface or ‘segments’ so you can analyze individual segments of the model. Otherwise the Revit file and BIM360 might not be very functional due to the geometry calculations as each of the surfaces will need to be reviewed individually.

4 Likes

Hello @GavinCrump

Thanks for the direction. I have successfully carried out the deviation analysis on Grasshopper using Volvox.
I checked the results against the one produced in Revit using Point Layout, and it is spot on.
Still looking to explore the Revit API method with the SpatialFieldManager Class. It would be interesting to see which method offers better performance.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Winds up there is a node for generating the spatial field already, so authoring is actually pretty quick. Dynamo Dictionary

However I have asked the Revit development team and there doesn’t appear to be a route to get any data from the analysis once it is produced. Might be a long term dead end as a result, but worth exploring all the same.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it was a helpful lead!

1 Like

Thanks, Jacob.
Still worth having a look.

1 Like

As an alternative to viewing the analysis results on the construction cloud I used Speckle!
View a sample here: Speckle

Wait… was the intent on this to pull a voxel for each point and evaluate deviation from the original face? If so, VASA is certainly an option. Do you have a dataset you can share?

Hello Jacob. Yes, that was the intent.
I’ll send you a Recap and Revit file tomorrow morning.
Thank you.

1 Like

Hello Jacob. Please download the files from the links below.
Point Cloud
Revit Model

1 Like