Designscript and RevitAPI

can we use designscript to access all the methods and functions of RevitAPI?

Why would you want to do this when DS is so badly underdeveloped, has no debugger, and is marred by endless bugs and everything Dynamo affords from its RevitNodes or ProtoGeometry library can be achieved using the Revit API without the horrendous performance penalties.

A similar question appeared on the Revit API forum…more food-for-thought in my reply here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/using-designscript-in-revit-addin/m-p/8688765/highlight/true#M37669%2F/id=lineardisplaymessageviewwrapper_6

3 Likes

I was curious to know that.
I didn’t find any help file to access API in python too.

All the documentation you need to get you started with Python and Revit API implementation is here:

Don’t get me wrong, DS has great potential - and to clarify, you can’t use DS to make Revit API calls. Instead you can only make calls to Dynamo’s RevitNodes library which contains wrappers for the Revit API but only a tiny fraction of it is covered, so its a non-starter if you want to do anything meaningful to cut a long story short.

Really, DS should be the only language a Dynamoeer needs given my experiences with GCScript (GenerativeComponents scripting language which was also the brainchild of Robert Aish), but its currently nowhere close, and GCScript has flaws of its own too which says it all really. Lets hope one day it gets to a point where Dynamo users can actually make a choice rather than the all too familiar “just use Python”.

2 Likes