Data not showing when inside transaction

Hey Guys,

I think i’m missing a fundamental understanding of whats going on here, wondering if someone is able to help. I’ve tried searching but can’t find the right keyword to bring up any useful info:

I’ve got a graph that seems to be sort of working, as in I’m getting data moving through the nodes but i’m not able to see that data at some of the inbetween nodes. Example attached.

I started just using the nodes stand-alone, but was getting inconsistent results and the occasional crash of dynamo - so i decided to put the nodes inside a start-end transaction to see if it helped?

As you can see in the String from Object nodes, I am getting the data I expected, but I am unable to see the data in the actual node itself. I either get null or blank on some.

This started as a small piece of a larger puzzle, (trying to gather visible subcategories and store it for future use in the graph) but to be honest the end result doesn’t really bother me so much, i’m really trying to understand why the subcategories don’t display their data like other nodes do? Am i using the node incorrectly? I also noticed that the watch node comes back blank - while the string from object records the data. So i am assuming that the string from object is changing the data type and so able to retain it’s information after run completion, while the node itself seems to forget.

Any ideas or keywords i can research to understand the behaviour would be really appreciated :slight_smile:

Dynamo Core 2.6.2.15705
Dynamo Revit 2.6.2.15772
Revit 2021.1.7

test in transaction.dyn (22.2 KB)

Hi @Rookio ,

This probably has something to do with the Transaction.Start node, why do you have this node?
I myself have never needed/ used this node.

PS: Also, you almost never need to use the Transaction.Start/ Transaction.End nodes, I would recommend removing them from here. The only time I use the Transaction.End node is when I copy and Excel-file containing a template to make sure that is completely done before writing data into that file.

Hi Daan,

Thanks for the reply. As i mentioned, I was getting the same result before using the start transaction. However i find myself needing to start transactions quite often in my graphs. Especially in scenarios where i want the graph to acomplish a change in revit before moving on to the next task, and nodes like passthrough don’t behave correctly in dynamo player. Ive been finding the transaction has been the only stable way to get the bahaviour my users need when they use player.

I’ve seen this behavior before but not really looked into it, but this time it was causing grief because i was unable to see the results of previous node so that i could set my levels and lacing accordingly. As i mentioned this is just a very small part of a large graph, the result of the graph isn’t really important to this thread, i’m trying to understand the behavior of the nodes showing null but still passing the data through. For example when i lock that category.subcategories node open in it says null, however if i just hover over it - it says there are 20 items in the list - just wont show them.

I can also say it’s not consistent, either.

See another screen shot - this time after some graph development and a fresh run, the category by name node still says null, but clearly it passes required data to the subcategories node which this time has decided to display its data. I’m quite puzzled by the behavior

I also think the Transaction.Start node isn’t needed, but it works for me though.

I also have;
Dynamo Core 2.6.2.15705
Dynamo Revit 2.6.2.15772
Revit 2021.1.7

So after I used the Category.Subcategories (Clockwork) and changed Doors to Windows (with Dynamo on Automatic) i got an error message in Dynamo and the Category.ByName node after the Transaction.Start node is now blank.

So it probably got something to do with Category.Subcategories (Clockwork).

With the Category.Subcategories node from Clockwork 2.3.0.

I don’t know how to fix the now red node (so what the text should be).
Maybe it is fixed in Clockwork 2.0.4.

Edit
Same issue with Clockwork 2.0.4 (though no more warnings in the Category.Subcategories node).
As soon as I change the Category I get an error.

Fair point, I’ll agree the transaction node is not needed as the graph is currently.
And also i probably should have named the topic a bit better.

I’m currently re-installing/updating packages as I tried to use designscript in a code block to do the same task as the category.byname node and got a conflict in the definition of Category in the Orchid package.
I removed Orchid for testing and the conflict resolved. I think that might have been my problem

Thanks for the heads up on that one too :+1:

Thanks Bas, I appreciate your thorough testing :slight_smile:

I have replaced the clockwork subcategory node with an orchid subcategory node and I’m getting similar results - it seems that subcategory.bycategory just doesnt want to play ball right now…