Code works in Python node but not in custom node

The node in red gives me 1 pop up and I can select either doors or windows or both.

The custom node has the same code but it gives me two pop-ups. The first to select doors and the second to select walls.

I want the custom node to function the same as the python node (just one pop-up with a choice of categories as input.

The code is adapted from some John Pierson wrote:

import clr
import msvcrt
clr.AddReference("RevitAPIUI")
from Autodesk.Revit.UI import *
clr.AddReference("RevitServices")
import RevitServices
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
clr.AddReference("RevitNodes")
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)

doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument
uidoc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentUIApplication.ActiveUIDocument
sel1 = uidoc.Selection
obt1 = Selection.ObjectType.Element

category_list = IN[0]

message = "Click on the elements of type" + str(category_list) + " you want to open in the Revit window.\n\n***Then press the ESC key to finish.***"
if category_list != "RESET":
    TaskDialog.Show("Select your elements!", message)

class CustomISelectionFilter(Selection.ISelectionFilter):
        def __init__(self, allowed_categories):
            self.allowed_categories = allowed_categories

def AllowElement(self, e):
            if e.Category.Name in self.allowed_categories:
                return True
            else:
                return False

def AllowReference(self, ref, point):
            return True

msg1 = 'In your Revit window, pick " + str(category_list) + then press the ESC key to finish.'
    out1 = []
    flag = True

while flag:
        try:
            el1 = doc.GetElement(sel1.PickObject(obt1, CustomISelectionFilter(category_list), msg1).ElementId)
            out1.append(el1.ToDSType(True))
        except:
            flag = False

if len (out1) == 1 :
        OUT = out1[0]
    else:
        OUT = out1
else:
    OUT = "Moose"

I tried list levels with the custom node (just in case) but that didnā€™t have any effect.

How do I make the custom node behave like the Python one?

Is the input setup complete in terms of tool tip, data type, and structure?

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s incomplete and as a result Dynamo takes itā€™s best guess at data type resulting in VAR, and unstructured data is processed on an ā€œitem by item processingā€ resulting in each item being procssed one by one, causing two popups.
Basically, do you just have this: CatNames

A completed input setup, with a tool tip, assigned data type, and indicated data structure:

//The list of category names to restrict selection to, or 'null' for unrestricted selection.
catNames: string[]

Two more notes on this:

1. The ā€˜completedā€™ setup will produce an error if you feed it ā€˜not a listā€™, so you may want to proceed your node with a ā€œToListā€ node, an example of which can be found in Clockwork.
  2. Never use a capitol first letter for an input; this will help ensure you donā€™t have overlap with a C# class name in the future.

Missing the data structure.

Try this:

//The categories which you want to limit the selection to. Defaults to doors if none provided.
catNames: string[] = ["Doors"]
1 Like

That just makes the node think the category is called, [ā€œDoorsā€ , ā€œWallsā€]

And you canā€™t select anything then.

Ahā€¦ it does workā€¦ With the original code (but Iā€™d changed it and forgotten) :rofl:

1 Like