Building Areas to surface in Dynamo

Hi Yna,
Thanks for the advice.
The issue is I can’t work out a way to find/generate the loops. It just gives me all the lines of the Area Boundary as a list. How do I generate separate polycurves for each loop? Every way failed.
Triming is quite possible only when I can have the distinct loops for each area right?

0 Likes

You will possibly find different solutions for that but one of them would be to use the OOTB PolyCurve.ByJoinedCurves node and/or Group Curves from Archilab.

0 Likes

Oh I have tried all sort of grouping and making point loops… simplifying them… literally everything.
PolyCurve.ByJoinedCurves was literally the first thing I tried.

0 Likes

Did you try Archilab nodes?
There are also a couple of options to be found through the search field:
https://forum.dynamobim.com/search?q=Group%20Curves

0 Likes

Oh yes I did try that too.
Th only partial success I found was from Ampersands polycurvebycurve but it still fails in multiple cases.
I am already trying to think of some other way. Maybe generate geometry from the Color Scheme edges. Couldn’t find anything on that too though. Any clue?

0 Likes

Why don’t you use the connected boundaries output on the Collector.Areas node?

0 Likes

Oh that gives null straight away. The way the collector node makes the connected boundaries is pretty inefficient anyways. Thats the primary reason why I am using the Pyhton script rather than using the connected boundaries.

0 Likes

This needs some more details to be understood.
At this stage, I get polygons out of it.
Room.Boundaries from Clockwork works also with the areasElements output.
Then PolyCurve.ByJoinedCurves creates the needed polycurves.
You could maybe need the help of a containment test but I don’t have time to check, see here:
http://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Geometry/Polygon/Action/ContainmentTest

0 Likes

The screen shot in my earlier post is actually a screen shot of how the collector node works. It is just using the Polycurv.byjoinedcurves to make a polygon. It doesn’t really consider cutouts or loops.
the room.boundaries does give the boundaries but the issue is the boundaries for areas dont really need to be joined always. It has a threshold in revit built in so it doesn’t always create a loop… so using the room.boundaries doesnt cut it for me sadly.

0 Likes

Try Surface.ByPatchPolyCurves (Chynamo). Optionally, double-clic on it to see how it’s build…

0 Likes

@Amrit_Banerjee Here is an example with an area with cut outs

Details on the custom node tstngwtrs-GroupCurves can be found here …

2 Likes

Surface.ByPatchPolyCurves from Chynamo works perfectly for this task

1 Like

Yep it does work like a charm.

0 Likes

Could you mark the post as solved then?

0 Likes

Hi Vikram, That is probably the fastest solution. But could you explain me what actually the tstngwtrs-GroupCurves does?

1 Like

Sure I will. Lemme figure out how to mark as solved first though :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Done :slight_smile:
(click on the three points that can be seen at the back of each post, you will find a button with this tooltip: “This reply solves the problem”)

0 Likes

Probably because it doesn’t use any geometry intersection (which can be really heavy) to do it’s job.

If you have a list of shuffled curves, it groups together curves that form loops (open or closed)
The illustration at the link I’ve provided above should give you a fair idea of what it does.

1 Like

Hello Vikram,
I`ve tried to use your solution , but get an errors in the script, dynamo 1.3.3, revit19
Screenshot is below

Any thought what is wrong out here?
PolyCurve.ByJoinedCurves error is: Warning: PolyCurve.ByJoinedCurves operation failed.
PolyCurves may not be branching

Surface.ByPatch error is: Warning: Surface.ByPatch operation failed.
Unable to patch a single, no-closed curve

Thanks in advance

0 Likes

Seems like you have intersecting/overlapping curves. Grouping of curves only helps group curves that are a part of detached chain of curves.

1 Like