Applications.OpenDocumentFile

Running Dynamo v.2.16.1

I’m trying to open a Revit 2023 template file in the background to get some information from it and then compare it to the current open Revit ’23 document.

But I get this not so helpful error message:
“Applications.OpenDocumentFile operation failed. An internal error has occurred.”

Thought that maybe it was because I was trying to open a file on the network, or there was a pair of brackets in the file name (which I removed – but made no difference), I tried to direct it to a copy of the file on the local drive, but still no luck.

There is only one node feeding it (the file path).

Anybody seen this issue…?
Were you able to resolve it…?
Am I doing something wrong…?

Try opening the file manually, save the resulting file as an rvt, and see if the node works with that.

Also, double check that you have the latest version of Rhythm installed.

It cannot open a .rte file. That node is made to open .rvt files. Sorry.

1 Like

Thanks for the rapid reply John,
That’s too bad, it came in handy to help us check that we are sticking to our own standards. :slightly_frowning_face:
That same node worked just fine with Revit 2021, maybe that functionality will make a comeback in a future update.

Cant you create a new project from that template, then compare the new project to the one you want to compare?

i just noticed thats exactly what Jacob already suggested heh

1 Like

Of course, that’s exactly what I’m going to do instead.

Unfortunately, it won’t. If it had ever worked, it was by mistake. The node now uses the OpenOptions class to allow users to detach, audit, compact, etc. Those options will not let you point to a .rte at all. Specifically, this is the open method I use: OpenDocumentFile.

Another option exists that takes a file path as a string, which I might have used previously. But I won’t be moving back to that, as the node has been this way for quite some time now.

1 Like