We don't draw spaghetti buildings

It seems something is going on with his site. Shoot him a tweet and maybe he can weigh in on it. @arch_laboratory

This must have been a temporary outage when I forgot to pay my bills and left for three week tour of Europe. My bad.

Regarding real-world applications for Dynamo, Iā€™ve just created one! Iā€™m an MEP user, and have been perpetually frustrated by the lack of connection between Spaces, HVAC Zones, and Mechanical Equipment in Revit. I recently created a Dynamo script that will give me that connectivity, and I use it to automate the ASHRAE 62.1 Ventilation Rate Procedure, which is normally quite time consuming for us. It takes various data from the Spaces, pushes it up to the Zones where itā€™s totaled, and then pushes that data to the Mechanical Equipment. The result is that the Mechanical Equipment has parameter values for the HVAC Zone it serves: Total Floor Area, Total Occupancy, Heating Load, and a text string listing the Name and Number of every Space in its Zone. (The mechanical equipment family then takes that heat load data and uses it for sizing of the heating coils.) Itā€™s taken me a while to work out the bugs, but Iā€™m happy with it!

If any MEP people would like to know more, Iā€™d be happy to share specifics on how it works.

1 Like

Robert, I would love to follow up with you. We mainly work on Science and Tech facilities and have been using a similar approach for air balance. My email is arif.hanif3@gmail.com.

Hi Robert,

I am working on MEP side as well as, I would like to know more about what you created in Dynamo. Can you send me mail on jigarpatel.civil@yahoo.in

Ā 

Thanks

Hi Robert,

Iā€™d also like to see a sample of the space and zone ventilation workflow youā€™ve developed. Email is andrew.beazley@arup.com

thanks, Andrew

Hi Daryl

Plenty of information there & specific examples.

I covered Dynamo in my blog at quite a broad level. I did not go into great depth, but one of the sections is titled ā€œBeyond the crazy geometric structures, what is Dynamo good for ?ā€ which is the same as your question.

http://hannellbim.com/dynamo-notes-from-a-novice/

hope this helps

Ā 

Andrew

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hello Robert,
Iā€™d be interested in seeing what you have put together. Iā€™ve been editing families for quite some time and now Iā€™m looking to get into Dynamo.

Really, these comments (from the thread poster) are typical of someone with little or no experience using computational design tools. There are three clear uses in my view:

1. Workflow automation
  2. Complex Geometry
  3. Simplifying/controlling repetitive design (those shiny boxes), a mix of 1 and 2

Any experienced computational designer will tell you this. And for the record, GC can be used for all 3. I implemented a space planning system on Apple Campus which saved staggering amounts of time - it was purely workflow driven. Itā€™s therefore great that Dynamo is now popularising aspect 1 and dispelling the common misconception that computational design is only applicable to complex geometry. It actually depends purely on the problem, and ultimately establishing if there is any economy in implementing such techniques.

In my view, where Dynamo is emerging as something quite unique is its integration with Revit. Itā€™s a formidable combination where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. GH and GC simply canā€™t match it. And anywayā€¦who cares if architects churn out ā€˜spaghetti buildingsā€™ā€¦itā€™s better than being blind ignorant!

1 Like

Robert,

This is exactly the type of functionality that has got me into learning Dynamo. I am still new so it is rough right now but I would be interested in seeing how your script works. If you have the time could you share script or at least the nodes used to build it? I can be reached at jmoody@rnm-engineers.com.

Thank You,
Jason

As this forum now has the option of sending messages to individual users, I will close this topic to new posts.
Most recent posts seem to be irrelevant to the title and it might be better to start a fresh thread.
Do send me a message if you think Iā€™m mistaken and the topic needs to be reopened.

1 Like