Rooms => Mass in 3D view doesnt export to IFC

Hi all,

i copied a script that makes my rooms into Mass in the 3D view. (As far as i know it makes Direct Shapes.
Now my issue is that i want those Mass exported to IFC, why i want this is for a simple reason that Rooms dont have a Material and we would like to convert them to Mass and with a Material we can give colours to our Rooms in IFC.

We use IFC for different software. And in most software it’s all the same colour?

Maybe this is not a topic for dynamo, but i think more people walk into the same problems and maybe they have a solution for this issue?

I work with Revit 2017 and IFC Export version 17.3

Kind regards,
Fabian Verwoert

Have you verified that other objects of the same category are exported to IFC correctly? If not you would have to edit your IFC export class mappings table (or alternatively use the IFCExportAs & IFCExportType parameters).

We use Category Mass in revit for more things and in the mapping table export them to IfcSpace (This works fine with model-in-place families and loadable families)

Now with the Direct Shapes components it doesnt work, we also tried IFCExportAs & IFCExportAsType

Or isnt it allowed to map Direct Shapes components to IFCSpace?

Kind regards,
Fabian Verwoert

I think it may indeed be a limitation as to which objects are qualified to be exported as IfcSpace. DirectShapes generally export fine to other IFC classes. You’ll probably need to use IfcBuildingElementProxy as a fallback instead.

1 Like

Hi Andreas,

thank you for your reaction. Indeed IfcBuildingElementProxy does work, but in saying that most software (Solibri, Vico Office) based on the IFC Class is shows certain quantities.

We all know that IfcSpaces bring certain quantities and that brings a lot of value. I understand we cant change it for now. I will post this issue as well on the source forge website for the IFC Exporter.

Is there a list of valid Ifc Classes for Direct Shapes?

Kind regards,
Fabian Verwoert

None that I know of. I think DirectShapes work well with most Revit categories / IFC classes (I would think that basically anything that works in the import class mappings works in the export mappings as well). IfcSpace is probably one of the exceptions.

1 Like