Robust hardware schedule

I am posting this question because it seems like something that could be handled in Dynamo, so I thought I would test the waters.

I am trying to create a rather robust hardware schedule to help simplify life for our estimators. What I keep coming back to is trying to reference a key schedule within a key schedule but it appears you can’t do that.

Ultimately I would like to create a key schedule of all of the devices (see image below), then create another schedule where I can assign the devices to a hardware set type (similar to image 2). I could then assign the hardware set type to a door and all of the other information would then be attached to that door so we could get counts. We could also use the schedules on our sheets as shown below.

I could probably do it all in one key schedule, but the length of parameters in the door properties window would be really long.

Any thoughts or recommendations? It seems like something that could perhaps be accomplished in Dynamo, but my skills are still at the beginners level using that program.

See the screenshot below of how we currently are showing the hardware schedule, but the person that put it together just used grouped texts.

Here is image 2 that I reference.

Thanks,

-kslifter

You can now use Shared Parameters in Key Schedules. Which I think you would need to do here. You’d have to set up all your families to contain these parameters with the available selections and then you could use one Hardware Set key to control them all.

I recommend making your hardware sets ‘dumb’ as a key schedule, so each row is a set that is never actually applied to a door itself. You could use a rarely used category to store these. Dynamo is able to read the rows of a schedule (look at BiMorph nodes for an example of how). Put it on a sheet at the beginning of your door schedule sheets where all your overall legend/master schedules go.

Make a second key schedule for the doors themselves, and just make the keys specify a hardware set and a description, with the key being the set name/code (which matches the key row codes in the detailed component schedule). You can use Dynamo to match up the key rows in the hardware component schedule if ever needed for quantification, but otherwise you just refer to the set the door uses as its specific key instead - no point in double scheduling the component data in the door schedule as well.

If for some reason you have to double schedule, then you can either pass the data across from the dummy key to live parameters in the door using Dynamo, or you can just make all the parameters for the door itself. Sub-element keys don’t work unfortunately, as nested families cannot have their parameters adjusted at that level as you’ve discovered, and Revit doesn’t naturally schedule nested components. Dynamo can however identify what elements are nested in others.

Here’s a quick example I threw together…

hardware.dyn (29.5 KB)
Hardware.rvt (452 KB)