Revit slowing down after script

Hi All,

I made a script that reads some information from an excel file and creates the border rebar for a specific wall. The script is quite big and the rebar creation is divided in 12 parts.

When I run this, it takes about 10-15 seconds to run, but aftes its done, Revit works a bit slower than normal. Also, when I run it several times (correcting errors) I have to close and open Dynamo a few times, because it is slowing down progressively.

In my script there are about 8-12 custom nodes that I made.

What can I do to improve the functioning of my script? Should I avoind using custom nodes? Code Block?

I’m working in an HP Core i5 with 16GB Ram and a GeForce 940M. I think it is not a harware issue, maybe I’m wrong.

Thanks in advance for your advices.

Regards

Hi @Jorge_Villarroel

Are you getting this issue in your office?

No, I’m working in my own notebook because is better than the office’s. But my coleague is working in an office PC and the problem is worse.

Is your notebook connected to LAN?

No, via Wifi.

It might be due to your hardware issue. Your using 2GB grahics card to generate rebars. Could you show us your graph. How many rebars your trying to generate?

@Jorge_Villarroel BTW have you tried restarting your notebook?

Yes, when I restart my notebook/PC it gets faster, but It is a tool that I’m developing, so that my team could place rebars through revit according the national standard.

In red is the rebar creation part. It creates these rebars according a 8 story wall:

Thanks in advance for your time.

ex.: 3f28 means 3 bars of 28 mm diameter.

@Jorge_Villarroel Which revit and Dynamo version your using?

Revit 2016. I tried in 2017 and the issue is similar. So, do I have to upgrade my notebook? For rebar creation do we (in my office) have a Top-Line PC hardware?

Your graph image is not clear. Looks like it is a quite a big. Could you describe more about your graph? I would suggest before you switch to high configuration machine you test your script first on it who is using high configuration pc. Intel iCore 7, 32GB ram & 4GB graphics card is good option.

1 Like

@Kulkul I cannot place a better quality image because of my office’s restriction (sorry) but I can describe it a bit:

• I select the wall elements that I want to place rebar on it
  • From an excel sheet I get the # of bars, diameter, etc… for each story of the wall.
  • From then, I create curves in the external faces (corners) according the excel information for each story.
  • I work with these individual curves to get overlaps in the places that I want (stories that I want), alternating overlaps between first/second sets of bars (even/odds).
  • Create rebars from this new curves and finally create rebar sets according the excel information with Bim4Struct package.

I took the example of CORE Studio for a wind plant footing and the guidelines told by @Dieter_Vermeulen in AU2016 and his website.

The script works as I want, but my issue is that for the end user, it would take ages to get corner rebars for a real project.

Thanks in advance.

Please try CleanMem http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem to clean out your RAM and let us know if it helps.

We are having the same issue in my office. It seems like Dynamo is not releasing the RAM after running the script and the only way to get Revit to function normally again, is by closing and restarting Revit.

I have the same issue. Running through Dyno Browser seems to help. Wonder if it’s something about Dynamo in general and not just the size/complexity of the graph.

We came to the same conclusion, but the Mem Cleaner mentioned above kinda help with the trouble.

Cheers.

1 Like