Revit crashing when adding Package Path in Dynamo 2.0.1

I have an issue with the statement that “Dynamo is free”, so we can cut the developers some slack. It’s Open Source for the most part, and it’s free for the most part…but not really.

If you were to download the “free” Open Source Dynamo and run it on your machine then it’s pretty bare bones. It doesn’t have a geometry library (only the Dynamo Studio ships with it, while Dynamo Revit relies on Revit libraries). So basically the Sandbox version of Dynamo that is free, comes pretty handicapped, and for sure not really useful for AEC industry.

Now, majority of people here, actually use Dynamo Revit, which comes installed with Revit. That means that it’s not really free, because Revit is not free and since we already established they are not very useful when mutually exclusive, then I would say that Dynamo is not free. Also, now that the Revit team is taking over development of the Dynamo Revit library, as well as the fact that Revit folks have been claiming Dynamo Revit to be an extension for Revit, then I would really be hard pressed to consider Dynamo Revit a free tool. It’s Open Source but not free, since I can’t do anything with it on its own.

That’s just my 2 cents.

13 Likes