PointCloud data to Dynamo/Revit data

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a script which (should) create a Surface (or Solid, doesnt really matter) from a PointCloud loaded into Revit. The current script works as follows:

1. Two inputs are used: the PointCloud and Revit Masses (those Revit Masses could change, but that is how i did it for now).
  2. The Points inside the area of the boxes get filtered out and result in Image 1.
  3. A Convex Hull for each Point group is created and a Solid results from this (Image 2).
  4. A plane is created from all these points (maybe in the future the same way as the boxes) and the intersection between this Plane and the Solid is extracted into PolyCurves (Image 3).
  5. Those polycurves act as perimeter/ cross sections to create a solid (Image 4).

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

This works great for small amounts of cross sections and when those cross sections don’t have any “cutouts”. But as you can see in the image below do these details get lost in the proces.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this proces and ways to improve this workflow?

Files:
2021-11-05 PointCloud Script V0.2.dyn (39.6 KB)
Testmodel PointClouds losstaand.rvt (1.6 MB)

@Daan , maybe you can use some tools to get surfaces first?
And slice in next stage.
https://blogs.gre.ac.uk/designsupport/3d-realisation/laser-scanning/meshlab-point-cloud-to-mesh/

1 Like

I’ll check it out! Thanks for the suggestion.