Packages and Multiple Users/Workstations

Hi all,
Recently I’ve been creating tools for our production team to use on the floor.
My question has to do with the installed packages I have on my machine compared to theirs. As it stands now, we’ve either loaded packages manually or copied the dynamo folder from my appdata to the end users appdata.

Is there a feasible way to have all of our users in the office pull from one central location for installed packages so we don’t have to load them on each machine?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Hi @dgriff

You can save the packages on your central location and modify the paths for all the users under manage and paths.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! This is a much faster and simpler solution.

Probably a good idea to make files in that folder read-only

i have had bad experiences with that - I believe some packages needed to have write access to the location. Instead we keep a read-only copy to restore as needed if things are broken.

Thank you for the input/suggestion! I like the idea of the read only backup copy to restore.

To roll out package path setting for multiple users, you can follow the link for the solution.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Hi @erfajo, I agree what @Kulkul has posted solution is simple non graphical way to change setting but @dgriff has to or ask users to change path settings. If some company has 10-15 users, it could be done in an hr or two. Let’s assume if you have 120+users like us, you will have hard time updating this path on every pc. There are company that has 500+Revit users and you could calculate the man hour required to change path setting manually on every pc. My solution will help to manage and update in minutes.

Hope this justify my posting someone like me who has to manage large team. I had no intention to make this topic complicated but help anyone who search for this topic.

Hey Mate, I do not think it is odd to reply to this thread if it is still one year old. I came to this thread few months ago and found it challenging when you have to open Dynamo on every PC and add path manually. It took me while to figure out the automated way.

I think also you have not read my thread fully or misunderstood it. If the article seems difficult to understand, my apology, I am happy to make it more simple. It is clearly mentioned that you can open XML file with Notepad++ (you can download it for free) and edit to add new line under . Why you need to have programming skill or coding for this editing? And there is no need to edit XML on every PC. We use group policy login script that copy XML file to the required location and it overwrites XML files. None of the users are required to change anything. If we move our package location in future, we just roll out the updated XML again. This had worked for us and does not necessarily work best for your environment. I believe you also have limited knowledge of commercial environment, we do not re-install PC every week.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to use dynamo (player) to keep packages up to date across the office. I was thinking I could just install the necessary packages on the network and use dynamo to copy from the network location into the user folders.

I wanted to use the %USERPROFILE% to poin to the current user, but it does not recognize this in Dynamo.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Matt

1 Like

Without testing it. I can see 2 potential solutions; your user name does not end with % i guess it should be %USERPROFILE%. Or test with %USERNAME% instead of %USERPROFILE%.