Opening by Face is not acknowledged by Element.IsCutting Spring Node

I have two structural framing elements. Both are beam based so I could utilize the “Structure - Opening by Face” option to make on the fly irregular shaped openings. One is being cut by the opening by face option and the other is cut using a generic model family of a void extrusion.

I created a script to look at all openings and return the element that it’s cutting (utilizing the “Element.IsCutting” Spring Node), so I could mark those pieces as to be detailed.

For some reason the script acknowledges that the void family opening is cutting an element, but it won’t acknowledge that the opening by face opening is cutting an element. So it only returns the one element.

Any thoughts or workarounds would be greatly appreciated. I would rather use the Opening by Face due to it’s versatility.

This sounds like a hard one. The node uses the API’s InstanceVoidCutUtils class and it seems that only works with family instances, where as the face opening objects are system instances.

I was going to suggest Clockwork’s great “Element.Inserts” node but unfortunately that one only works with host elements, such as walls, floors and ceilings :confused:

I usually try to avoid the built-in void cuts because those are notoriously hard to schedule and tag

I believe the Clockwork node Element.Host would work for Openings on beams, etc. Not at a computer with Revit to try but Openings have a host property: http://www.revitapidocs.com/2018.1/6f603c8c-7644-4d71-a6d2-e3bca22b6c27.htm

2 Likes

Element.Host works like a charm.
Thank you both!

1 Like