How can you center the orbit pivot point?

I have a .dyn file that uses a ZTN to read a .sat file and create polygons of the .sat in the viewing window. The problem is, one of the .sat files loads so that the image is waaaay off from that faint square grid that is supposed to be the center of the view, so orbiting is impossible, as you can’t rotate the image, you can only send it wildly swooping around. My googles on this have hit solutions in other Autodesk apps, but I can’t find any mention of how to recenter the orbit pivot point in the Dynamo 3d preview navigation. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

I haven’t come across a good solution for this, but if you need to see it close to the origin you can translate the geometry to the origin, work with the geometry translated, and then circumvent the translation.

Does selecting the node that generates the geometry preview (generates the polygons), leaving this selected and then selecting the 3d background preview toggle, then center the view on the related geometry?

Or am I remembering wrong… funny how you forget simple things sometimes when its not right in front of you… :man_facepalming:

I don’t have to select a node to generate the geometry – a number of different nodes just generate a set of geometries. Selecting and unselecting the 3d background toggle brings it from background to foreground as usual, but doesn’t ever change the position of the drawn geometries relative to the orbit pivot point (which is off center by about 10 or 20 lengths of the building)

Try clicking on the geometry in the preview and see if that changes the orbit point (same as selecting the node).

1. Display the mini View Object Wheel or one of the Full Navigation wheels.
  2. Right-click the wheel, and click Options.
  3. In the Options dialog, clear the check mark from Keep Scene Upright For Orbit Tool.
  4. Click OK. 9Apps apk VidMate
  5. Click and hold the Orbit wedge.The cursor changes to the Orbit cursor.
  6. Press and hold the Shift key to display the roll ring. Drag to roll the model.
  7. Release the button on your pointing device to return to the wheel.

In Dynamo?

@smithclarkson001 Yeah, I think your steps are for Revit, not Dynamo.

Andy

Had to 5 minutes open to test - admittedly not a great work-around but it should help you get by. A feature request in the GitHub would likely help a lot of users.

1. Select the node(s) which generate the geometry you want to orbit around.
  2. Switch to preview mode
  3. Use a zoom to fit command.
  • The geometry you want to orbit around should be centered in the window.
  • The orbit point will be moved to the centroid of that combined geometry.
  • Note that in the preview mode you can manually select a single geometry by clicking on it.
  • There is no way to add to a selection or select multiple geometries except by selecting the nodes which generated them.
2 Likes

Center tool. You can specify a point on the model to use as the pivot point for orbiting with the Center tool. CTRL+Click and drag. Press and hold down the CTRL key before clicking the Orbit wedge or while the Orbit tool is active; then drag to the point on the model you want to use as the pivot point

i hope the answer with shareit apk i provided was informational enough and was able to help you.

Center tool. You can specify a point on the model to use as the pivot point for orbiting with the Center tool. CTRL+Click and drag. Press and hold down the CTRL key before clicking the Orbit wedge or while the Orbit tool is active; then drag to the point on the model you want to use as the pivot point

True?

Not that I have seen. Please refrain from posting links to unrelated content in the future.