Family Name Value not Family Type

I am trying to get the Family Name Parameter of a Family Instance, But it Returns the Type Name not the Family.
Anyone?

from the image, I want the Family Parameter, #6.

I believe that data is actually part of the Type definition. You’ll just have to get the Type from the instance and then query the family name.

This way should work:

2 Likes

Grazie Luca! :grin:

That solves my problem!
Do you happen to know how to do that using python?

This is a way to get a family Name in Python from a Family Type via an Element Collector.

import System
import clr
clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *

clr.AddReference("RevitServices")
import RevitServices
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager

doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument

cats = IN[0]
fam = []

fec = FilteredElementCollector(doc).OfCategory(BuiltInCategory.OST_StructuralFraming).WhereElementIsElementType().ToElements()

for i in fec:
    fam.append(i.FamilyName)

OUT = fec, fam
1 Like

Hi erfajo!
I really appreciate the help, the problem with using custom nodes is we a re a small company and have no support department and I release the scripts to 3rd party collaborators, as well, a lot of them would freak If they had to install anything. So it has to be the more out of the box experience possible, so I mostly use python and standard nodes.

I got you, and I am sure we will transition to that with time. But for now, I have to try and do the most using the standard features.
I will look more into your packages for sure and try to use them and learn with it! But on the other side, the struggling makes me grow as a developer :grin: hope you understand. My team uses solely Autodesk solutions and they are very competent ppl in their fields of knowledge but they can’t get too much in depth with computers! Using Revit is already new! :joy::joy:

Once again, I appreciate your help!

1 Like

Hi Sean.
Thank you for you time. I will be sure to try it out!
Have a great day!

1 Like