Family instance rotation not rotating around location

Yep :smirk:

good to know. thanks for everyone help

Hi,
In Revit 2018 (I havenā€™t tested older versions) the rotation of the family is about 0,0, we found this out as some families have had there reference planes (front/back, left/right) have been moved slightly.

To find 0,0 in a family, create a dwg and insert it.
has anyone else found a better workaround for this?

1 Like

We use this to find 0,0,0:

Nullpunkt

1 Like

@Kulkul Iā€™ve revisited this and am still having issues.

Attached is the family (revit 2018). It only has 2 reference places. It is (as far as I can tell) identical to your family in terms of reference plane naming and defines origin location.

Stadium_Seat_New.rfa (276 KB)

However when I rotate them using Dynamo, they behave very differently

What is causing this? It must be how the family is built but I canā€™t figure out what. It is like it is being rotate about the hidden start-up point. Is this possible? Exporting a dwg and re-importing I get overlapping geometry.

@Paul_Wintour Shifted the geometry in the family to the origin (0,0,0)
Should work properly now.
Stadium_Seat_New.rfa (420 KB)

This works but I canā€™t work out why. How do you find the origin (0,0,0). Isnā€™t it the ā€˜defines locationā€™ point of the reference planes. If not, there is nothing under visibility graphics so how do you find it?

Determined the origin by Importing (origin - origin) an Autocad file with just a circle at (0,0,0)

Also mentioned above in this discussion ā€¦

hmm ok. I exported the file to dwg and re-imported it back it. But that it always overlay the geometry. I need to create the autocad file from scratch I guess.

Use dynamo to draw a model line from 0,0,0 to 10,10,10 in your family environment instead of using a dwg. This was mentioned by @Johannes_Meiners above (I think linie vom nullpunkt means line from zero point), but he draws his to 0,0,100 instead.

1 Like

thanks. It would be so much easier is there was just a family base point under visibility graphics. Not sure why they canā€™t implement that. It seems pretty easy and quite critical

Draw a ā€˜xā€™ at 0,0 on autocad. Then insert the drawing

Which archi lab package is to be downloaded. There are so many.

There are many by necessity - get the latest, and if that doesnā€™t work get the latest version based on product year (so Revit 2018 try 2020.22.7, if that fails or acts up then 2018.13.13).