Facade design with image graphics

Could this have been achieved in a simpler manner?

Just beginning to understand lists and suspect that this could have been done more efficiently.

Available online guides to list building syntax and approaches for beginners (with no programming experience)?

System resources not utilized. Any suggestions?

This was the extent of resource utilization while dynamo took about 3 minutes to process the below definition.

The output is an extension of the images from curves. This time using a 3 point adaptive component to create a surface by triangulation

Took the above concept further and created a mass by using two images to create a massing concept for the corner of a building.

I now intend to explore various massing options with different images

Regards,

Vikram Subbaiah

Looks great! And thanks for posting your solution so others can study it, too. Glad I could help.

Hi Andreas,

I incorporated your suggestions and managed to get the same result in a lot more efficient and neat manner.

Thanks for taking the time and guiding me through this.

Regards,

Vikram Subbaiah

Thanks again Andreas.

I'll have to study the various options you've suggested and try it out.

Regards,

Vikram Subbaiah

Hi Vikram,

here's a basic setup for how to further manipulate the data coming from the XYZ grid:

Regarding the Partition List node: look at it again - it sounds like your n should have been n-1 or n+1. It definitely does not duplicate any items so that they would appear in two sublists. Or just use Build Sublists with 0..n

BTW: If you want to loft in a specific direction, you can always use Transpose List to after Partition List or Build Sublists.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions Andreas.

I did start with the XYZ Grid, but realized that one of the coordinates (X or Y) needs to vary for every point and it didn't make too much sense using the XYZ grid. I'll look into it again and see what I missed.

The partition list node isn't sufficient as it connects the last point of one row to the first point of the next (or vice versa). The offset option in Build Sublists solved that problem by creating separate curves. (Actually, I got to this approach after reading Nathan Miller's post)

Regards,

Vikram Subbaiah

Hi,

I'd suggest you start by looking at the nodes XYZ Grid and Partition Lists.

They should help you in significantly reducing the number of nodes in your definition.

As the name suggests, XYZ Grid is an easy way to set up a three-dimensional array of equally spaced XYZs. This should take care of a lot of the nodes in the upper left part of your definition.

You can then manipulate the X or Y values of your XYZ with the data gleaned from the image.

Lastly, for the creation of sublists for the lines, the Partition Lists node should - in you case - be sufficient. It allows you to chop up a list into sublists of a specified length. You could also do that with the Build Sublists node, but it would be much more efficient to use the correct syntax, which in your case would be "0..n" (where n is the number of points per row minus 1). A while back, Nathan Miller posted a good example of how the list building syntax works here.

I hope this is enough info to get you started.